6.5 saum or 7mm saum

The only benefit on the SS I could think of is if you had extended free bore you could then seat the really long bullets out further which would yield you more vel. with a LA

Not to interrupt or anything but I'm wanting to build a rifle as well in either a 7saum, 7ss, 6.5prc. Not sure which route I want to go as I have checked the WWW to see how easy it would be to find brass for things. I don't reload just yet but that's on the list of things needed. I know the 6.5 prc would be easiest but I really want more authority on game and steel at the long end, that round is last on my list for that reason and I haven't read enough on it. As for the 7saum, that brass is sold out everywhere and seems to be non existent. The 7ss, will the brass be around long enough and will anyone that does remage prefit barrels be able to chamber this caliber for me. The reason I want a prefit barrel for a Remington is so I don't have to wait and pay for a smith, and if I get a long action I can always change calibers down the road when ever I want to what ever I want. I don't think I will ever buy another factory rifle because I can't buy exactly what I want! Wish some calibers would die out and some that have make a come back. What do you all think?

Those are questions for Rich to answer/

I would think Brass availability should not be an issue as long as SAUM s being produced. The size trim and fire form process is simple with the SS dies, so even if SS brass was gone it would not be much of an issue IMO.

Not to interrupt or anything but I'm wanting to build a rifle as well in either a 7saum, 7ss, 6.5prc. Not sure which route I want to go as I have checked the WWW to see how easy it would be to find brass for things. I don't reload just yet but that's on the list of things needed. I know the 6.5 prc would be easiest but I really want more authority on game and steel at the long end, that round is last on my list for that reason and I haven't read enough on it. As for the 7saum, that brass is sold out everywhere and seems to be non existent. The 7ss, will the brass be around long enough and will anyone that does remage prefit barrels be able to chamber this caliber for me. The reason I want a prefit barrel for a Remington is so I don't have to wait and pay for a smith, and if I get a long action I can always change calibers down the road when ever I want to what ever I want. I don't think I will ever buy another factory rifle because I can't buy exactly what I want! Wish some calibers would die out and some that have make a come back. What do you all think?
If you're wanting a LA, I'd go with a .280 Sherman instead of the SS. It uses the standard .473" bolt face (.270/.30-06). It's a non-magnum that puts down 7mm RemMag performance.

Plus, it uses .270 Winchester brass to form for it, and that brass is not going anywhere anytime soon. And really good .270 Win brass (Nosler, Norma, Winchester) is relatively inexpensive.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/211696/nosler-custom-reloading-brass-270-winchester-box-of-50

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/6...brass-shooters-pack-270-winchester-box-of-100

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1390263710/winchester-reloading-brass-270-winchester-bulk-packaged

Last edited:
If you're wanting a LA, I'd go with a .280 Sherman instead of the SS. It uses the standard .473" bolt face (.270/.30-06). It's a non-magnum that puts down 7mm RemMag performance.
In all honesty I would rather have a short action but everywhere I read on just about every cartridge that has crossed my mind(there has been a LOT) somewhere along the way there's always someone that says "well it would work in a short action BUT it would work better in a long action", if you use a certain bullet you will run into problems loading, unloading and when you reload the optimal seating depth could be too far out, yada yada! That's why I liked the looks/idea of the 7saum with great ballistics that I want in a short action platform, there is just no real good cartridge that has good barrel life, great ballistics with good knock down power way out there in a short action it seems!

In all honesty I would rather have a short action but everywhere I read on just about every cartridge that has crossed my mind(there has been a LOT) somewhere along the way there's always someone that says "well it would work in a short action BUT it would work better in a long action", if you use a certain bullet you will run into problems loading, unloading and when you reload the optimal seating depth could be too far out, yada yada! That's why I liked the looks/idea of the 7saum with great ballistics that I want in a short action platform, there is just no real good cartridge that has good barrel life, great ballistics with good knock down power way out there in a short action it seems!
The SS (Sherman Shortmag) cartridges are designed SPECIFICALLY to be used in a short action, and to fit & feed in the magazine box just fine with the long heavy high-BC bullets seated up near the lands for best accuracy and consistency.

My personal preference is 7 SAUM. I have one in a short action that I love. I am running the 175gr Elite hunter at 2950 in a 24" barrel. Easy to find brass, easy to load for. I am running a Wyatt's extended box mag.

My personal preference is 7 SAUM. I have one in a short action that I love. I am running the 175gr Elite hunter at 2950 in a 24" barrel. Easy to find brass, easy to load for. I am running a Wyatt's extended box mag.
Where have you been finding brass? It seems I must have been checking for that brass at the wrong part of the year or something because I've looked for it just about everywhere and no one has that brass. The one other thing I could do is neck down 300saum, it seems easy to find.
I would love to get one in the SS but darn that brass is $$.

The 6.5prc is starting to grow on me because of availability of everything for it.....since I'm wanting to do a remage barrel I can always swap for the 7saum down the road.

Where have you been finding brass? It seems I must have been checking for that brass at the wrong part of the year or something because I've looked for it just about everywhere and no one has that brass. The one other thing I could do is neck down 300saum, it seems easy to find.
I would love to get one in the SS but darn that brass is $$.

The 6.5prc is starting to grow on me because of availability of everything for it.....since I'm wanting to do a remage barrel I can always swap for the 7saum down the road.
Check on gunbroker. You can usually find some on there.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.