7mm SAUM or 280 AI

N2TRKYS

Which one would you choose and why? This will be a custom built hunting rifle(deer and elk) and will need to be carried long distances. Consider that already own a 270 Win with a 22" barrel. When making your choice, don't factor in component or ammo availability. Thanks.

.280 AI hands-down. It's an extraordinary caliber that has proven itself for decades upon decades, and just in the last few years has hit new strides thanks to the SAAMI standardization of the caliber, because of it's time-tested popularity.

I know you said not to factor-in component availability, but the fact that component PRICES are much cheaper for .270 Win/.280 Rem brass, that you can fireform vs. 7mm SAUM brass prices. That is something I would take into consideration.

If you compare Nosler .280 AI brass vs. Nosler 7SAUM brass, you get twice the cases (50) with the .280 AI for only $10 more than what it costs for 25 cases of 7mm SAUM.

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 280 Remington Ackley Improved 40-Degree

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Mag Box

How does the 280 AI do with 180 grain bullets compared to the 7mm SAUM? The SAUM will be built on a long action.

Also, is it worth getting a new rifle in the 280AI when I already have a 270 Win?

I agree mud, but where does the 284 shehane fall compared to the above cartridges?

I've been considering a 7 sherman short mag, everything you want in a short action. I, as others, think this round has serious potential.

The only advantage I'd see with the SAUM is using a short action. But if your wanting the long action anyway, I'd go with the 280ai.

And the 280ai will be a long way from a 270win with 22" barrel.

HOWEVER, you kind of sound like you're leaning toward the 7mm SAUM. If that's what floats your boat, then go for it! :D

Also, is it worth getting a new rifle in the 280AI when I already have a 270 Win?

That's a personal choice! Do I need 3 .300 Win Mags, no but I do (I'm sure I'm not the only one :cool:). In short, don't let us influence you with what you really want or need ... you have the ultimate decision at the end. If you can live with the decision and its consequences then you've done well. lightbulb

I converted one of my .270 Win into .270 AI. Initially, I was going to have a .280 AI but went with my heart instead and couldn't be any happier.

Good luck!

How does the 280 AI do with 180 grain bullets compared to the 7mm SAUM? The SAUM will be built on a long action.

I run the Berger 180 hybrids at 2900 in my 280 ackley with no pressure signs. Mine is a 26" 1-9 twist non saami 280 ackley. The load is easy on brass and accuracy is excellent

Which one would you choose and why? This will be a custom built hunting rifle(deer and elk) and will need to be carried long distances. Consider that already own a 270 Win with a 22" barrel. When making your choice, don't factor in component or ammo availability. Thanks.

I did look at 7WSM before I decided to build 280AI Saami Spec (Nosler brass) and only reason I did that, I had already had 270WSM and 300WSM build both on WSM actions.

I would more than likely make same decision today if looking at 7 SAUM on a long action. I also had 280AI long throated so it handle 168gr/180gr VLD and you could do same with 7 SUAM and you be pretty close to same case capacity, figuring both have appr 73gr H20.

I do like 270's also have lilja barrel 270 and Mike Rock barrel 270 Wby.

I am thinking about a 7saum improved.
Anybody tried this?

The SAUM case already has a .0153" taper (Ackley used around .0110") and a 30-degree shoulder... If you were to blow the taper out to .010" and add-in a 40-degree shoulder, you would only gain 1.9 grains of case capacity.

You would also have a slightly longer 7mm SS. You would be better off going ahead an building a 7mm SS, as Rich already has reamers to rent and dies for sale. He also sells pre-formed brass.

The SAUM case already has a .0153" taper (Ackley used around .0110") and a 30-degree shoulder... If you were to blow the taper out to .010" and add-in a 40-degree shoulder, you would only gain 1.9 grains of case capacity.

You would also have a slightly longer 7mm SS. You would be better off going ahead an building a 7mm SS, as Rich already has reamers to rent and dies for sale. He also sells pre-formed brass.

1.9 grains is 1.9 more.
Already have a6.5ss
Looking for something with a little more than the 7ss if possible

I run the Berger 180 hybrids at 2900 in my 280 ackley with no pressure signs. Mine is a 26" 1-9 twist non saami 280 ackley. The load is easy on brass and accuracy is excellent

I have a 7rsaum in a short action, 26" sendero contoured benchmark barrel. I run the 180 hybrids at 2925 fps as told by a magneto speed and by truing out at 1200 yds. I am not running max loads and the brass is holding up great. I have 1750+ rds thru the barrel.

Cant wait to replace it with a carbon fiber wrapped proof or other barrel. I am hoping to get 700 more rounds down the tube.

Yes it is heavyish but carried in an eberlestock x3 lodrag between my shoulders it helps out.

any questions ask ...

and ultimately it is your choice...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.