6.5 PRC w/147 ELD-M

cbk57

I am not trying to start a bullet debate, i am only asking has anyone killed elk at 4-500 yds with 6.5 PRC w/147ELD-M, mine is the very best shooting rifle i own, just curious if it could do the job. I do know i want an exit hole.

I have no experience shooting elk with that combo, nor any other combo for that matter, but I killed several whitetail with it, and it did really well. This discussion happens about every ten days, and the consensus seems to be that they will kill elk just fine at the ranges you're describing from a 6.5prc or similar speeds.

You want a dead elk, they will work fine. You want an exit hole, then there are better options. This is just a summarization of the 20+ threads that I've read about this question from people who have actually tried it.

They will work fine and will kill an elk just fine. I doubt they will exit on an elk most bullets won't.

For exits, original accubonds usually will, or some of the monos. I never had a Berger, Edlx, or LRABs exit an elk and I've shot allot of them with.

They will work fine and will kill an elk just fine. I doubt they will exit on an elk most bullets won't.

For exits, original accubonds usually will, or some of the monos. I never had a Berger, Edlx, or LRABs exit an elk and I've shot allot of them with.
Thanks for advice. I have only killed 6 bulls over the years, the biggest one I ever shot had it not been for the snow tracks I would not have found him. Hit little high got both lungs and he made a quarter mile in heavy timber. Zero blood trail.

The consensus on Accurate shooter.com from Serious Competitive target shooters is that the 147's blow up at speeds beyond 2900 fps. 5R rifling may help in this matter. Most(not all) people have quit shooting these bullets that are serious competitors. The 147 has a thin jacket compared to Berger Hunting bullets.

I shoot the 147's very well with AA4350 in a 6.5x47 lapua throated for this bullet, so does my shooting pard. Next up will be the 260 AI with a possible velocity of 2900+. I have 1500 of these 147's and was determined to make them work, hit pay dirt with AA4350 with a cci 450 and Tula Mag primers where tiny bug hole groups are the norm.

Last edited:
If you are using a outfitter, check with him. Some outfits have minimum caliber requirements. Not fun getting there and being told "can't use that".Elk are tough, sure you get a lot of 1 and done. LOTS of elk have been killed with .257 wby, and .243. As W. D. M. Bell said "use enough gun".

Haven't killed an elk at that range, but here is the shot from a deer at 508yds with the eld-m. Stopped on the backside.

Attachments

• 7F4B223A-762A-4E79-B515-FC38C6504499.jpeg
    7F4B223A-762A-4E79-B515-FC38C6504499.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 180
  • 8E1CA1FD-E7BE-4E5C-A623-202389AFC84C.jpeg
    8E1CA1FD-E7BE-4E5C-A623-202389AFC84C.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 192

Recent Posts