6.5 PRC Hornady brass wont size correctly. Dent on shoulder. Confused.....

Different rifles will likely give different amounts of brass stretch, but only a few thousandths each. That's enough to give you different experience with each piece of brass. Do clean your chamber thoroughly before starting your measuring process. As Magnum Mania says, you might have some foreign body, but it could just be an accumulation of lube.

Thanks for the disassembly explanation. Im going to do that today. We have a mothers day dinner but after that im going back to the drawing board. I also discovered that my shellholder is the #5 rcbs holder(thats supposed to work but who knows now) not the specific #38 holder rcbs recommends. So......today im ordering a case gauge depth gauge and the #38 holder and some dry lube for the neck. I DID however notice something yesterday evening.......when i would adjust my sizing die untill i got the case to chamber correctly......the next case wasn't the same....and so on and so forth. In other words......no consistency. Without moving my die i would get 5 different results when trying to close my bolt. I would size 5 different cases without moving anything and they would not be the same as the test round i used to get a good bolt close. So.....im still at a loss but working at it. Hopefully case depth gauge and the #38 shell holder will help me getting "back to the drawing board".....but im still swinging at the dark right now.

I dont have a headspace gauge or comparator. But it seems I'll be getting one soon......

Also......i took my shellholder the the belt sander and accidentally took .005" of instead of .002".

So.......now i have another problem.

When i size the shell, everything looks great, no problems.
But then when i put the shell in the rifle and close the bolt.........DENT. AGAIN.
UGHHHHH
Clean the chamber with a chamber mop. you have something stuck in there....like a piece of unburnt powder or other debris.
Any case lube will work for the inside of the neck. Use whatever you are using for the outside. Apply some to a nylon bristle brush. Lube the inside and outside of the neck and the body of the case. None on the shoulder.

Last edited:
Well i checked the chamber and sure enough......small piece of debris. Got everything cleaned and lubed and had about 5 cases sized then.........stuck case in the sizing die. After wringing and twisting ive basically mangled the case head to where theres nothing to grab holt of anymore and i cant get the decapping part out so i can knock the case out from the other side. So......i guess im dead in the watee untill i can get to my welding desk at work tomorrow and get some more serious tools involved.
However........thanks to you all I'm definitely making progress and have fix and/or eliminated several problems/variables and im FAR more close to a resolution to this all than before i made this post.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH.

getting there ever so slowly.......but getting there.

Also.....this is the rig im working with. So hopefully after all of you guys help, i will be able to use this brass and still pull the groups below 1".

Ruger Hawkeye Long Range Target.
MDT chassis
Trijicon Tenmile 5-30x56
Badger Ordanance 4 Ring Mount
EGW 30MOA Base.

Only time/work will tell what this rig/brass will be able to do.

Thanks again everyone

Attachments

• IMG_20240512_092921617_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240512_092921617_HDR.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_20240512_092927872_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240512_092927872_HDR.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20240512_092937277_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20240512_092937277_HDR.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 28
Well i checked the chamber and sure enough......small piece of debris. Got everything cleaned and lubed and had about 5 cases sized then.........stuck case in the sizing die. After wringing and twisting ive basically mangled the case head to where theres nothing to grab holt of anymore and i cant get the decapping part out so i can knock the case out from the other side. So......i guess im dead in the watee untill i can get to my welding desk at work tomorrow and get some more serious tools involved.
However........thanks to you all I'm definitely making progress and have fix and/or eliminated several problems/variables and im FAR more close to a resolution to this all than before i made this post.

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH.

Stuck case removers are good things, and are easy to make

RCBS makes a stuck case remover set.

After you get straightened out and back in business, back the die off about 1/8 turn and start over with setting your shoulder bump.

I just had another thought.....make sure your case length isn't at or over maximum. If it is, then trim before you try them in the chamber.

Last edited:
Thanks for the disassembly explanation. Im going to do that today. We have a mothers day dinner but after that im going back to the drawing board. I also discovered that my shellholder is the #5 rcbs holder(thats supposed to work but who knows now) not the specific #38 holder rcbs recommends. So......today im ordering a case gauge depth gauge and the #38 holder and some dry lube for the neck. I DID however notice something yesterday evening.......when i would adjust my sizing die untill i got the case to chamber correctly......the next case wasn't the same....and so on and so forth. In other words......no consistency. Without moving my die i would get 5 different results when trying to close my bolt. I would size 5 different cases without moving anything and they would not be the same as the test round i used to get a good bolt close. So.....im still at a loss but working at it. Hopefully case depth gauge and the #38 shell holder will help me getting "back to the drawing board".....but im still swinging at the dark right now.
Thinking out loud….If you could find a bore scope that could reveal a potential cause ?
Anyway check off one t

THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH.

Drill / tap primer pocket- 1/4x20. Get a deep 1/2" drive socket next thread (a long enough)
1/4x20 hex head bolt through a fender washer, deep socket. Tighten screw slowly.
Case should start to come out. HTH

Sell all the Hornady brass you have.
Buy 100pcs of Lapua brass.
Enjoy high quality brass. I have 16x firings on 20pcs of Lapua 6.5PRC brass I was testing.

Lube on the case body is fine. But it takes VERY LITTLE on the necks. Clean your dies and watch how much lube you put on the necks.
Do you have a saami chamber or the AW chamber? No clicker issues?

Get a hornady headspace comparator. Measure fired cases and screw the die in until you get .002 less on your measurement. On some chambers you may need to have the die bottomed out with a hard cam over. Others you might be just making contact with the shell holder.

Recent Posts