Dents/Crimp on shoulder cause?

I talked to a local gunsmith and he said I was good to go with what I had.

With that being said I loaded up some rounds to try and see if I could get anything to group. Long story short the answer was no, which leads me to my next question. If you are out in right field with a load will it shoot 3-4" groups at 100 yards? I ask because I have had cheap factory rifles shoot cheap factory ammo better than this.

I have only hand loaded for 2 guns before, a 300wm and a .308 and was able to get them to shoot good no problems.

This rifle in question is a Remington 700 action, PAC-Nor stainless barrel 1:9 twist, 6.5-06AI with what I believe is an H&S stock. Scope is tight, haven't checked action screws yet.

I am pretty inexperienced to reloading, have loaded for 300wm and .308 successfully but that is all.

That being said my father in law asked me to work up a load for a 6.5-06 he has. He gave me some once fired Winchester 25-06 brass and a set of RCBS FL 6.5-06 dies. I tumbled the brass and went to size it and got dents around the whole perimeter at the base of the shoulder. Can anyone tell me what might cause this?
Throw your lube pad and lube away and get some Hornady one shot. End of problem

Nobody mentioned that when you are fire forming with a crush fit you need to lube your bolt lugs often. That crush fit will gal your lugs if you don't keep them lubed with high pressure grease. After they are formed and sized properly the lugs won't gal easily anymore. You mention you didn't check the action screws. On an HS I do 60 inch pounds on front and rear to start with. Also make sure your barrel is free floating in the barrel channel. Your after market barrel may not fit the stock right. One other thing on remingtons is it's easy to have the magazine box bind on the bottom metal when putting it together. To check this open the floor plate and see if your box has a little play in it. If it doesn't have some play then your action is binding on it. No remington will shoot good if it's bound up like that. I've been building custom remington 700s for 30 yrs these are just a few thing to check. Good luck.
Shep

Nobody mentioned that when you are fire forming with a crush fit you need to lube your bolt lugs often. That crush fit will gal your lugs if you don't keep them lubed with high pressure grease. After they are formed and sized properly the lugs won't gal easily anymore. You mention you didn't check the action screws. On an HS I do 60 inch pounds on front and rear to start with. Also make sure your barrel is free floating in the barrel channel. Your after market barrel may not fit the stock right. One other thing on remingtons is it's easy to have the magazine box bind on the bottom metal when putting it together. To check this open the floor plate and see if your box has a little play in it. If it doesn't have some play then your action is binding on it. No remington will shoot good if it's bound up like that. I've been building custom remington 700s for 30 yrs these are just a few thing to check. Good luck.
Shep

Barrel is free floating. No bottom metal on this rifle, so I can't open floor plate.

I already stated this about it being AI and you had to fireform back on page 2. But Edd pointed out if you look at th 2506 necks before sizing its clear they do not have the gentle 17.6° shoulder of standard 06 cases but a much sharper angle. They must have been fired in a chamber with a sharper angle shoulder 35°-40°

That is why I have 2 or 3 edited posts as to not confuse people.

I think the op should take some measurement of the fired 2506 cases and see what they are. Shoulder diameter, length from base to various junction points.

To me its clear there is something buckling the shoulder maybe its too large in diameter or at a different location (setback) etc

In the end it may very well be able to expand the neck and jam a bullet and fire form. I thought a very light lube on the body might help prevent separation. But way more people with more fire forming experience than me.

I would ask if the once fired .25-06 brass was from a .25-06AI. Sure looks like it to me. The first thing I'd have done was to see if they chambered in the 6.5-06AI rifle. A fired .25-06 case still has enough neck tension to hold a 6.5 bullet without doing anything else but seating it. I would just load the .25-06 cases and seat the bullets to touch. Once these are fired just adjust your sizing die so that the resized cases chamber with little or no resistance.

I sent a pic of the dented case to my contact at Redding.

Here is his reply.

""That indicates a die chamber mismatch If it is the shoulder dimension than the chamber shoulder diameter is larger than what the die is designed for. Another case would be trying to push the shoulder back too far on an Ackley cartridge. Realistically the shoulder cannot be pushed back much more than .003". Given the wildcat nature there are no standards per se so it isn't that uncommon to have this occurr. Try backing the die off about a 1/8 turn and see if that corrects it""

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.