6.5 creedmore vs 308

Spedray

Already have the long range elk gun set up with the 7mm rm and the fast varmint gun with the 204 ruger. Looking for an economical fun gun for mid range steel (800 yards) and maybe antelope, coyotes. Don't reload as of yet. Looking for a rifle with little kick. Would be shooting a bull barrel factory rifle. Don't want to break the bank (>1000), but tax returns will be here next month. Which if the calibers would you recommend, and what rifle platform? Have looked at a ruger m77 target, savage 10t, weatherby varmint, Remington 700 adl varmint and they all looked nice. Any other good choices?

If I were not set up to reload, I would most likely go with the .308 or .260 Remington.

I'm with desertbull on this. 260 doesn't kick bad and with the .308 you can find a great variety of bullet weights. I'd lean toward the .308 just because you don't reload and can get factory varmint ammo and deer to elk loads. Plus .308 is a great caliber. JMO..

I like the .308 as well, but I think the Creedmoor is the better choice for the stated purpose and given what other rifles the OP already owns.

Where factory ammo is concerned, I feel the Creedmoor has the best long range oriented options among any of the 6.5's.

As an alternative to a pure varmint type setup, the Ruger Hawkeye Predator deserves a hard look, IMO. The Creedmoor is also offered in the Predator version of the Ruger American, if a budget rifle is preferred.

I live in montana, so ammo availability is a concern. I have never seen 260 Remington ammo. The Creedmore and 308 ammo is everywhere though. Rifle doesn't need to be varmint set up but that was all I really saw in bull barrel models. Don't want a 18" barrel either. Looking for the longest barrel i can get away with to squeeze some extra fps and keep the weight up to reduce recoil.

I hate to say this because I prefer Weatherby's.

Purchasing a factory rifle IIWM Savage 11/111 Long Range Hunter.

Custom OMG the choices are endless. I would go back to my Weatherby actions......

As for 308 vs 6.5CM. 308 will have a huge variety of ammo even for varminting. 6.5CM will be forgiving of loads vs accuracy.

Finger in the wind? Toss a coin? Roll some dice? No matter which way you go, you win.

I live in montana, so ammo availability is a concern. I have never seen 260 Remington ammo. The Creedmore and 308 ammo is everywhere though. Rifle doesn't need to be varmint set up but that was all I really saw in bull barrel models. Don't want a 18" barrel either. Looking for the longest barrel i can get away with to squeeze some extra fps and keep the weight up to reduce recoil.
Factory Ammo is never more than one click away on the internet and pretty much every major retailer stocks 260 ammo in their brick and mortar stores as well.

If you aren't seeing it you probably just overlooked it.

Even the one store that stocks ammo in our little one horse town stocks it regularly.

The velocity of the 308 in my opinion makes it less than desireable for shooting at either varmints or game at long range because of the flight times.

A fraction of a second can be the difference between a clean kill, a complete miss, and a badly wounded animal running off to die so I stick to higher velocity rounds than the 308.

+1 for the Savage LRP. For sheer long range accuracy/targets, right out of the box, mine in 260 will shoot right along with the bench rest rifles. If less weight is needed my Savage LRH in 6.5x284 is equally accurate. Both cost under $1000, and having traditionally used customs for my high precision work, my eyes were opened to how far factory rifles have evolved.

Id go 6.5 Creedmoor. Its a much higher co-efficient bullet at the same velocity or faster which is going to make it flatter shooting than the 308 and hit with more energy further down range. It will have less recoil and ive heard it has better barrel life. Im launching a 140 a- max at 2900 fps out of my Creedmoor and it shoots pretty dang flat with almost no recoil. If your buying factory ammo then its really a no brainer. The hornady 6.5 cm match ammo shoots lights out and doesnt break the bank. Not saying the 308 is a bad round because its a great round i just think the Creedmoor will have the advantage at longer distances.

Looked at the 260 but the ammo is quite a bit more, same for the 6.5x285. I liked that the hornady creedmoor match rounds were pretty cheap. Looked at a ruger American predator, that barrel really looks short. Do you think there would be a big difference in fps between a 22 and 26" barrel? Like I said weight is no issue, in fact I want a heavy gun to keep the recoil down and see my shots hit.

Looked at the 260 but the ammo is quite a bit more, same for the 6.5x285. I liked that the hornady creedmoor match rounds were pretty cheap. Looked at a ruger American predator, that barrel really looks short. Do you think there would be a big difference in fps between a 22 and 26" barrel? Like I said weight is no issue, in fact I want a heavy gun to keep the recoil down and see my shots hit.
Both the 260 and 6.5CM were developed to work in 16-20" tactical rifle barrels so no, it shouldn't hurt performance. You might get a bit more velocity with a longer barrel but with that size case unless you are using a pretty slow burning powder you'll get very close to max performance from the 20-22" barrels.

All else being equal heavier is steadier, steadier is more accurate, more accurate lends to greater precision at long range.

BTW look at the HSM 260 Rem Ammo. They have frequent group buys for it on volume purchases at Sniper Central.

Factory Ammo is never more than one click away on the internet and pretty much every major retailer stocks 260 ammo in their brick and mortar stores as well.

If you aren't seeing it you probably just overlooked it.

The velocity of the 308 in my opinion makes it less than desireable for shooting at either varmints or game at long range because of the flight times.

A fraction of a second can be the difference between a clean kill, a complete miss, and a badly wounded animal running off to die so I stick to higher velocity rounds than the 308.

There really should be a like button on these threads. WR nailed it, for varmints & game the Creed' is the clear winner. I do have to say, geographics must play into what ammo is available. As great a cartridge as the 260 is, it is quite hard to come by in my neck of the woods. Creed? Pretty much anywhere.

t

Looky into the ruger hawkeye predator. Thats what i chose and that has a 24 in barrel and doesnt weigh alot. Mine shoots 1/2 moa and thats just a free floating barrel and a non bedded action. Price runs around 750 bucks.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.