6.5-06 vs 6.5-284

IdahoJoe

I am looking into building my first long range rifle and having trouble deciding on a caliber and have a few other questions.

so far I have decided (but still subject to change)

Rem 700 action
Krieger 26 in barrel
Bell and Carlson Medallion Stock
Trigger undecided
130-140 grain bullets

As I understand it I will need a 30-06 length action even if I go with a 6.5-284 to shoot the 140 grain bullets.

Is it worth blue printing an action for hunting accuracy?

I have access to Nitrex scopes at a discount are they high enough quality to put on this type of hunting outfit?

I will be using this for deer generally and if I get lucky enough to draw a pronghorn permit.

How far (assuming good shot placement) would you shoot an elk with this caliber?

Any trigger sugestion would also be helpful.

Thanks

Sounds like some great choices for parts and should make a great LR rig. As for the caliber decision, I had pretty much decided on getting a barrel either in 6.5-06 or the AI version for my Savage 112BVSS. My reasoning was that they were ballistic twins, the AI version providing a little more steam, and brass would be more readily available and cheaper. That was until I came across a 6.5X284 this past Friday and bought it Saturday. Scratch the 06 idea.
As for triggers, I recently put a Shilen on my 700P and am well pleased. It's a great alternative to the factory trigger. Initially I didn't like the physical feel because it has a narrow shoe but I've gotten used to it and wouldn't take three Remington triggers for it. I also have a Rifle Basix on my Savage and it's great too. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I've had Timneys and they're good aftermarket triggers too. I catch 'em on sale at Midway and they run about $80-85.00. JohnnyK.

I am looking into building my first long range rifle and having trouble deciding on a caliber and have a few other questions.

so far I have decided (but still subject to change)

Rem 700 action
Krieger 26 in barrel
Bell and Carlson Medallion Stock
Trigger undecided
130-140 grain bullets

As I understand it I will need a 30-06 length action even if I go with a 6.5-284 to shoot the 140 grain bullets.

Is it worth blue printing an action for hunting accuracy?

I have access to Nitrex scopes at a discount are they high enough quality to put on this type of hunting outfit?

I will be using this for deer generally and if I get lucky enough to draw a pronghorn permit.

How far (assuming good shot placement) would you shoot an elk with this caliber?

Any trigger sugestion would also be helpful.

Thanks

Hello Joe and Welcome to LRH!

First, I'm not convinced you can't chamber a 6.5 - 284 in a short action. I think if you modified the throat slightly you could do it and use the long bullets or get a modified mag box.

I was able to tune my Rem 700 triggers very nicely (they are not the new X Mark triggers, so i cant say anything about them). It took a whaile, but I got the hang of it and they break very lightly and crisp.

On killing an elk. You can always kill an elk way out there with about any bullet. The question is how quick and how far will the elk travel before it dies. You would have to take in the sum total of circumstances to make that call when you are faced with it. Under the right conditons, I would take a shot on an elk with a 6.5 as far out as the bullet will expand which could be 1000 yds depending on load, elevation, etc. But I would want everything in my favor, including a good view in all directions of where the elk might go after being shot, and have a cow/calf call ready to calm them after the shot. If you put a good expanding 6.5 bullet through both lungs, it should kill it fairly quick. Just hope he doesn't take off for the next mountain range when hit.

Good shooting and hunting,

Mark

BTW, I like both of your options and hope to have one of each someday. The Norma will probably be a little faster. Give RL17 a try in either one and you'll probably be very happy.

go with the 6.5-284

great brass to start with then just load and shoot

you can use the short action great however your single shot only with long bullets

good luck

Thanks for the info. I think I have decide on the 6.5-284.

Does any one know where I can order a 700 action preferably new?

The best way to get a new action would be to buy a new SPS (SS or blued CM) and sell the stock and barrel. If it were me I would but a Howa and sell the stock and barrel. A better action IMO.

-Mark

Hello Joe and Welcome to LRH!

First, I'm not convinced you can't chamber a 6.5 - 284 in a short action. I think if you modified the throat slightly you could do it and use the long bullets or get a modified mag box.

I was able to tune my Rem 700 triggers very nicely (they are not the new X Mark triggers, so i cant say anything about them). It took a whaile, but I got the hang of it and they break very lightly and crisp.

On killing an elk. You can always kill an elk way out there with about any bullet. The question is how quick and how far will the elk travel before it dies. You would have to take in the sum total of circumstances to make that call when you are faced with it. Under the right conditons, I would take a shot on an elk with a 6.5 as far out as the bullet will expand which could be 1000 yds depending on load, elevation, etc. But I would want everything in my favor, including a good view in all directions of where the elk might go after being shot, and have a cow/calf call ready to calm them after the shot. If you put a good expanding 6.5 bullet through both lungs, it should kill it fairly quick. Just hope he doesn't take off for the next mountain range when hit.

Good shooting and hunting,

Mark

BTW, I like both of your options and hope to have one of each someday. The Norma will probably be a little faster. Give RL17 a try in either one and you'll probably be very happy.
Mark tell me more on fine Tuning your X Mark trigger. Mine needs it !!

I have both 6.5-06 and 6.5-284. It's probably just the rifles, but the -06 shoots much better than the -284.

I haven't been able to find a great load in the 6.5-284, while my load development in the 6.5-06 was easy. Keep in mind I settled on 130 Nosler Accubond for the -06 at ~3150 fps. Lightning on pronghorn at 300 yards.

The 06 based case will feed like a fiend, not so the other unless you go with a clip/magazine.

Way easy decision for me

And I can just hear the 284 based guys winding up to say...but but but my 6.5/284 feeds great

Had a 6.5-06 wasn't that impressed with it. The fact you have to resize cases either down or up causes extra issues potentially from my experience. Both barrels will have short barrel lives probably less than 1500 rounds especially if you're looking to shoot 140s. You might as well go up to a 284 IMO and get better barrel life, better B.C., and the availability of Lapua brass now when you can find it on the market.

Had a 6.5-06 wasn't that impressed with it. The fact you have to resize cases either down or up causes extra issues potentially from my experience. Both barrels will have short barrel lives probably less than 1500 rounds especially if you're looking to shoot 140s. You might as well go up to a 284 IMO and get better barrel life, better B.C., and the availability of Lapua brass now when you can find it on the market.
I'll add that I think I saw Lapua 6.5x284 with small primer pockets available. Not sure if it's a good or bad thing, but it's an option. Why not the 260rem? I'll admit every short action cartridge I own is in AR's. This includes my 6.5prc AR barrel (came 3 weeks early) that came in today and my 7-08 that should be here within/by 8/2/23.