6.5 Creedmoor and others...

Well I have owned both the 260 Remington and the 6.5 creedmoor and out of a short action with a magazine the 6.5 Creedmoor wins. I can load it with the factory load data on the back of the box and hit 2850 fps with the 140 grain bullets with the 24" barrel that comes on the factory Savage Model 10 Predator with an overall length of 2.810" COL. The 260 Remington you can do the same until you try to stuff it in a detachable mag and then the velocity drops down to 2700 fps because the bullet uses up more case capacity. Sure you can use RL17 but then your burn temp goes up and barrel life suffers and it that powder is more temperature sensitive then H4350. 260 Remington out of a short action does well with up to 120-123 grain bullets. If you want to shoot 140's the Creedmoor will do slightly better. I think it is an improvement. for people shooting off the AR10 platform it will let them compete with bolt rifles and do well.

Oh why not jump in?

O.k. first there is not a need for either but we sure do want them and want falls into a completely different category.

Here's the thing the Creed won't do anything the 260 already does if you are talking bolt action rifle. But, the Creed was developed by a highpower cross course shooter to match 260 ballistics and be able to load 140 grain (longer bullets) and mag feed in a "ar10" platform. A 260 won't do that. That is how and why the Creed was developed.

So, pick your poison. Unless this has changed hornady is the only company making brass for the Creed and the brass kind of sucks. There are several good brass options for the 260.

anyway, my take on it.

I believe more companies will start making brass for the 6.5 creedmoor. The 260 is a great round but the added benefits in a short action magazine will make the creed a great choice.
Iam really interested in the factory Hornady 130 Interbond they are offering now.
We shall see:D

The thing I think will make it harder to come out on the forefront would be the fact that Lapua released the 6.5X47L and also just released the 260 Remington in their brass line up. I find the new brass for the Creedmoor to be a lot stronger then the original batches and it has done very well, haven't had any cases that I have had to throw away. I honestly think I could hit 2900 fps with the 140 grain bullets but i don't want to chance it, plus my rifle shoots so good at the 2850 fps. 6.5 Creedmoor out of the Savage lightweight hunter which only has a 20" barrel was still obtaining 2700 fps with 8" less of barrel. That's 100 fps loss which averages 12-15 fps loss per inch of barrel, which is amazing. It is extremely efficient and very easy to work up loads for. Is it slightly redundant with other cartridges, yeah but it was thoughtfully executed. At the Sniper's Hide Cup in 2011, the 6.5 Creedmoor was used to capture 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 7th place. Not a bad showing whatsoever. Match Report: 2011 Sniper's Hide Cup in Texas « Daily Bulletin

Very nice soc. I know 2900 is suppose to be the holy grail but I'm with you on not pushing it. I don't think that extra 50 fps means much

This such a good post as I'm trying to decide on a caliber also. I will be using a mag and was looking at the 260 or 308 but from the untold treads I've read sais that the 308 will suffer from OAL in mag. Now from what I gather a 260 will also. Confused as ever

A 260 Remington will still beat a 308 with a 140 grain bullet but out of a magazine your going to be holding velocity down to 2700-2750 fps, which isn't a bad thing. just Hornady when they designed the 6.5 Creedmoor made it so it can be chambered in a short action without needing to cram the bullet pass the neck and shoulder junction with some room to spare which will get you up to 2800 fps+ with a little less powder at boot giving a nominal increase in barrel life.

Bayou
I have shot the 308 and killed two blk bears and a wolf with it last spring with hornady's superformance 150 gr gmx, recoil wasnt bad but you def dont see the hit thru the scope, not as fam with the 260, heard good things, but I settled on the 6.5 creed because I wanted a true short action, my excalibur has a magazine and I can load the longer bergers if I want.
I think any calibler in this mix would work, we all get worked up on which one is best and all but really put it in the right spot with sufficient energy and the animal ends up on the plate:D

@hyper

Just saying but I read an article where a guy tested the 260 vs. the creedmoor and the creedmoor was 200fps faster. Did you ever take into account your elevation also and the elevation that the creedmoor was tested at? You may have less atmospheric pressure making your bullets fly faster.

You may want to take a good hard second look at that article, there is no such thing as free lunch and no way in hades a creedmore will outdo a .260 by 200fps with the same bullets being used etc.

Don't get me wrong, I like the CM real well. It is a very nicely designed round, they really nailed the details.

Gary

@hyper

Just saying but I read an article where a guy tested the 260 vs. the creedmoor and the creedmoor was 200fps faster. Did you ever take into account your elevation also and the elevation that the creedmoor was tested at? You may have less atmospheric pressure making your bullets fly faster.

Was the article comparing a 120 to a 140 grain bullet? because the only way I can see a 200 fps gain would be with a lighter bullet. I have found that the 260 Remington will be the 6.5 Creedmoor velocity wise with 120 and down slightly(very small) out of a short action with a magazine or a repeater action. The 6.5 creedmoor has a slight advantage with the heavier VLD type bullets as it is not using up case capcity as much with the longer bullets. In a single action where you can load the bullets farther out and get more freebore, the 260 will have the advantage.

I just bought the 6.5 mm creedmore, factory. savage LRP. Its waht I want to start with. it came with a 8:1 twist. what would you suggest on the grain I start with? and as a rule of thumb, a heaver grain get more of a twist like a 9:1? with a longer barrell will i increase the velocity? Ty

The faster twists are better for heavier bullets. I am not sure the grain weight but you should be good with a 140 grain bullet. A longer barrel will increase velocity to a point, if you have an extremely long barrel you will lose velocity because you wont have enough powder to burn in the barrel. A 24 inch barrel or a 26 inch barrel should be sufficient.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.