6.5-284 Suggestions

FMI

Working on my fathers Birthday rifle in 6.5-284 and am looking for some powder suggestions. Rifle will have a 27" Tube, 1:9 twist. I'm going to be trying out 140SGK, 140SST and 130Accubond's.

6.5-284 powder

I'd start with H-4831 SC

Then H-4350.

If it won't shoot with either one of those, I'd look elswhere for the cause.

Don't go trying to find the last 1/8" in group size, or 20 fps.
It's not a long lived chambering.

Don't forget about 140 Berger, either.

Good luck,

Al.

I love Berger for target shooting but have heard mixed reviews so I've stayed away from them for hunting. If I can get a load that has good velocity and shoots .75 MOA or better to 450 that will do fine for this rifle.

I appreciate your help.

6.5-284 loads

you don't say what you are going to shoot with it ; or the make of barrel. most of the 1000 yard match shooters, shoot a 1 in 8 or a 1 in 8.5 twist. i would try the loads in the november shooting times and the accurracy loads from sierra and or nosler manuals. lapua braas ( nosler) ; and 210m ; wlr or wlrm primers

Ron,

Rifle will be used for deer and hopefully an antelope hunt. Barrel make is Lija. I appreciate the heads up on Shooting Times, will check it out.

found my load thanks to these suggestions

originally this was my post.......thanks to these guys advice I was able to find mine pretty quickly with the combination of RE22 and Sierra 140 MK. The dad gum thing will certainly shoot better than me. I was able to shoot an inch and a half group at 400 yds the other day in fluctuating 10-15mph winds. At 100 yds it's one ragged hole. I am seated .004 off the lands and only using 47 grains of RE22 (rather slow) but who the heck cares when it will drive sub 1/4 MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.