6.5-284 norma 140gr velocity

I forgot to write that recent pic was 600yds again and its a differant blue lighter.

Did I catch that right? Pushing the bullet down reduced pressure?? In loading for the same round so this could help me some too.

Hello Greyfox , I too am working on load development in the areas you commented on using H4831sc and Retumbo loads. I was wondering what you were using for distance on the lands for the respective loads. I just finished barrel break in for an ER Shaw Mark VII 6.5x284 Norma chamber with 26" barrel plus 2" brake. The break in was done with a relatively moderate load, (140gr Accubond , 49gr H4831sc , 210 Fed primer .020 off the lands) achieving 2840-2845 fps with very good accuracy of .5 MOA. The velocities you mentioned are in the area that I want to be in. I am also working on a load development using 142gr Accubond LR and was wondering if you have worked with this bullet and could provide any information or tips. Thank You in advance for any help.

Hello Greyfox , I too am working on load development in the areas you commented on using H4831sc and Retumbo loads. I was wondering what you were using for distance on the lands for the respective loads. I just finished barrel break in for an ER Shaw Mark VII 6.5x284 Norma chamber with 26" barrel plus 2" brake. The break in was done with a relatively moderate load, (140gr Accubond , 49gr H4831sc , 210 Fed primer .020 off the lands) achieving 2840-2845 fps with very good accuracy of .5 MOA. The velocities you mentioned are in the area that I want to be in. I am also working on a load development using 142gr Accubond LR and was wondering if you have worked with this bullet and could provide any information or tips. Thank You in advance for any help.

Tstark, I haven't tried the 142 LRAB's. Due to the mixed reports on the 142 LRABs, and varied performance between different lots using the LRAB 210's in my 300WM, I have been hesitant.
All my loads with both H4841sc and Retumbo have been developed using 140 Berger VLD's, and JLK's. I have experienced that the optimum seating is unaffected between H4831sc or Retumbo in my rifles. Interestingly, I have also found that with both the Berger and JLK's in two different 6.5x284 rifles that my best accuracy(<.5MOA) was achieved seating .075"s off the lands. I would still test seating depth as chambers can behave differently. After a few dozen deer and antelope taken at long range(500-1000 yards), I have found that both the Berger 140 Hunting VLD's and the 140 JLK's perform superbly on deer sized game when driven at 2960-3020FPS. I use a G7 BC with the Bergers of .313, and .321 with the JLK's. With identical powder/primers, the Bergers generate 15-20 FPS higher average MV's over the JLK's in my rifles.

Hello Greyfox. Thank you for sharing the information on your loads.. I will definitely take your advice on the Berger bullets and will give them a try. I went through the Nosler 142gr Accubonds and found that them to vary somewhat on weight and ogive dimensions ( not a lot but definitely some variance). I will post back on performance of the 142gr Accubond LR bullet performance (as I have a couple boxes on hand) so others will be advised. Thanks again!

I have been shooting 140 Nosler AB with 58 grains retumbo and fed 210. I am getting sub moa groups out of it at 3000+ fps (26 inch barreled cooper) but it feels like the pressure is high enough for me. The sierra 140 match kings I shot a 5 shot group I could cover with a dime at 200 yrds (which involved a large degree of luck I am sure) but the noslers stay around .8 MOA or so. I haven't tried the 142 LR accubonds yet but there is a box sitting on my shelf. My gun has a 1:9 twist so I am not sure how they will do.

So the question I have for the experts should I try the 215 primer? If so how much should I reduce the load if that is all I am changing. Also should I try a different bullets. My father in law claims the MK are fine for deer but I am a terminal ballistics snob of sorts and not willing to hunt with that bullet. I would like to stay at 140 or 142 grain hunting bullet. I have played with bergers but guess I never got the seating depth right to get good groups.

IdahoJoe, My experience with changing from 210-215 primers has been to reduce .5gr(30FPS) to maintain equivalent velocity with Retumbo in my rifles with 24/26" barrels. Accuracy is equivalent, and ES is generally unchanged, or slightly better with 210's, both giving under 12FPS ES. A 1:9 twist may not be fast enough to stabilize the Berger 140 VLD's.

I have been shooting 140 Nosler AB with 58 grains retumbo and fed 210. I am getting sub moa groups out of it at 3000+ fps (26 inch barreled cooper) but it feels like the pressure is high enough for me. The sierra 140 match kings I shot a 5 shot group I could cover with a dime at 200 yrds (which involved a large degree of luck I am sure) but the noslers stay around .8 MOA or so. I haven't tried the 142 LR accubonds yet but there is a box sitting on my shelf. My gun has a 1:9 twist so I am not sure how they will do.

So the question I have for the experts should I try the 215 primer? If so how much should I reduce the load if that is all I am changing. Also should I try a different bullets. My father in law claims the MK are fine for deer but I am a terminal ballistics snob of sorts and not willing to hunt with that bullet. I would like to stay at 140 or 142 grain hunting bullet. I have played with bergers but guess I never got the seating depth right to get good groups.
IdahoJoe,
If you change the primer . Drop your load a grain or two and work back up. If you will be hunting in cold weather a hotter primer like the Winchester LRM or Remington magnum rifle primer may work best to get the powder column lit off so you don't get a "hang fire". Have you tried testing our bullets (BERGER) using the " VLDs , making them shoot" article found under the INFORMATION tab on our home page under TECH TALK in the drop down? This may help get you going and we are here to help with any questions you may have along the way.

I do not to drop a few and work back up I just wondered were to quit. It is a little hard to find data for retumbo in the 6.5-284. thanks though.

I have played with the bergers but I haven't run through your procedure to find the optimum seating depth yet. I am a little concerned about there terminal performance on elk in that small of a caliber (I hate change, and grew up on noslers). But If I could get them to shoot as good as the sierra matchkings I would definitely give them a shot on deer. So in your opinion what range (assuming proper shot placement) or maybe a better way of putting it what is the slowest speed the bergers can hit with and still do there job on an elk.

I do not to drop a few and work back up I just wondered were to quit. It is a little hard to find data for retumbo in the 6.5-284. thanks though.

I have played with the bergers but I haven't run through your procedure to find the optimum seating depth yet. I am a little concerned about there terminal performance on elk in that small of a caliber (I hate change, and grew up on noslers). But If I could get them to shoot as good as the sierra matchkings I would definitely give them a shot on deer. So in your opinion what range (assuming proper shot placement) or maybe a better way of putting it what is the slowest speed the bergers can hit with and still do there job on an elk.
IdahoJoe,
We use the industry standard of 1800 feet per second at the target and applies at least 1100 foot pounds of force for minimum adequate performance standards on game. We show a starting load of 55.5 grains and a maximum of 58.5 grains for the 6.5x284 using RETUMBO. Approximate velocities are 2704 to 2865 FPS and the fill ratio is approximately 102%. This load is based on a magazine length loaded round of 3.228 inches (COAL). Use the BALLISTIC CALCULATOR on our website to run the numbers and see if this will work for you. Be sure to enter the correct or as close to correct altitude you will be shooting at. Also under the HUNTING tab we have game targets that show where we recommend bullet placement for the best results with our bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.