6.5-284 Load Data

Ian
Just tried the 140 A-MAX today. I started 5-thou into the lands and used R-22 and 4831 sc. 51.0 of 4831 went 2900fps and shot .5 at 200 yards. Looks like a winner, it shoots 142smk's and the A-Max.

Thats right rimfire

Keep doing the dirty work for us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe

Rimfire,
Great info, keep it comin'. I am really looking forward to shooting that cartridge. New Cooper Varminter was shipped a couple of weeks ago, just need to get the papers in order so I can get my hands on it.

My 6.5-284 likes 50.3grs of H4831SC lit by a Fed210M in Lapua brass with a 142SMK about .010" into the lands, velocity is around 2850fps. If I do my part and the wind isn't switching around to much it will put 5 into .5moa at 1000yds. The rifle is a Rem 700 SA with a 27" Obermeyer barrel in a HS Precision BR stock.
Wayne

I just put 59 rounds down the bore of my brand new 6.5 x 284. I'm not yet satisfied with these loads, (50.3 grains of H4831 SC & 142 Gr. SMK's w/ Fed 210M shot the best, but I won't mention the size of the groups... I'm working on it. Several of my freinds have their's shooting less than .125 moa.

Hi im new to this forum been shooting a custom 6.5.284 Norma here in Scotland for two years now its a great cartridge and very accurate shoot red and roe deer here with it and some foxes too using 120 grain Nosler Ballistic tips could do with some load data for lighter bullets if anybody has any it would be appreciated for:) 95 &100 grain bullets

Ian
My last 6.5-284 was a 26" 1-8 twist Hart Barrel (Sendero contour)set in a Sako Varmint McMillan stock. I would have kept it but the short action drove me nuts. It loved the 140 A-max. with either R-22 or H-4831. It also shot great with 120 NBT's 3250fps (the deer hated em)
I hope to also find an A-max load for the new one and test it out soon on some crop damage tags. I will post results.

got mine coming next week

itll be a sako 75 long action wearing a pacnor 30 f class 1;8.5 twist barrel with mcmillan sako varmint stock

i have made up some shooting in rounds using the 140 g amax and 4831 sc powder i have left bullets well out so i can just reseat them once rifle is home

happy days

look on 6mmbr.com . go to articles. search for one by german salazar. "allaint reloader 17 "

Hey fellow 6.5 x 284 shooters/reloaders ........i've been trying to locate data for the Barnes bullets...they do not list our cartridge in their manual. They offer some pretty cool bullet types especially for Long Range Hunting but NO DATA......Any experimenters out there ? I worked up a couple loads last year but im a little scared about going too far with it and grenading my new E.R. Shaw barrel, in the Mauser 98 Action.....It should be ok but.....i'd rather find someone else that has done it before.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.