6.5-284 Load Data

Ian M

Got the Cooper Varminter in 6.5-284 so now I need some loading data - tried the search here and cannot get anything. Kind of scary that I intend to reload when I cannot even find past info, but that's how it is.

Would appreciate some favorite loads - or a link to the 6.5-284 info that is already here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Sierra manual fifth edition has loads. I do not have the sixth editon. send me an email with your fax # and I will send on Monday if my brain battery does not run down. If you are desparate I can type them in during the race tommorrow.

Ian

I'm shooting 50.0 grs of Re-22 under a 140 gr SMK in Lapua brass.
Also 53.0 grs of H-1000 with a 140 gr SST in lapua brass. Both loads use Fed. 210 primers.

These are both near max in my rifle so work up to both cautiously.
Chris

P.S. found this link from the last time you were looking for loads.6.5 x 284 link

Thanks guys, believe it or not I have that manual - somewhere. I just went on a short trip to Colorado. Day before I got home my little wife decided to tidy up my office. Nine hours later it met her approval. Among other things she mentioned, "If you need your reloading manuals you will have to use the little step ladder to get them...". Top of my desk shelves now have some very cute ceramic ornaments, a large "teddy-beaver" completely outfitted in desert camo - stuff like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I am hooped for a while, will get things useable again but might take a month or two.

I went with 44 gr. of H4350 since one of my measures had 4350 in it from the .325 WSM loading - 140 Hornady Amax, new Norma brass, Win. primers cranked out at 2.990". Fits in the rifle, will find the correct overall length for this bullet but just want to start breakin-in the barrel tomorrow. Definitely will try R-22, thanks for the offer and also for finding that link.

Ian -- start at 47 and work to about 50.5 with h4350 and 49-52.5 with h4831sc

i am using 51.6 4831sc and a lot of people are using 49-49.5 of h4350

142SMK/lapua case of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JB

Ian

Email headed your way.

Everybody loves the H4831 Sc and others. I have found my pet loves the r-22. See email for more info

Joe

Everybody is talking about the 6,5-284. But how is it compared to the 6,5-06?

The `06 case is a bit larger.. think I read it some place, so more speed, and less barrel life?

Ian,

I have tight necked (.291") 6.5x284. Pet load for 142SMK's is 48.5g of 4831SC in Lap case, which gives me 2764fps on 26inch Kreiger barrel. Ave groups are in the .4's at 300yds so I can live with the "low" velocity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Take care when working up, I started at 46g 4831sc and prepared loads upto 53g. There was absolutely no pressure signs at 51.5g but 1/2 grain more showed a flow of brass into the extractor /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
I have some 4350 that I have yet to try and some of the other Brits who have them use Vit170 but I havent any info on powder weights. I have a pal who has Quickload, who recons that RL22 is the way to go for load density, again no personal knowledge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

For shooting varmints with the 6.5x284, I use 49.0gr H4350 under a 140gr A-Max bullet set .020" into the lands. Lapua case and GM210M primers.

The 140gr A-Max bullet will expand on small groundhog pups at almost any range. Terminal performace is impressive.

VH

Really appreciate all this info. Sure will make my life easier this week as I develope a load. Just want to get one good load and stay with it for some deer hunting at long range.

The new Cooper seems to have broke-in with eight or nine shots. About that point the number or cleaning patches dropped significantly, carbon was gone after only four patches, not much copper in the bore. Recoil with the 44 grain load is very mild, just wanted a break-in load. Obviously I will have to work up higher to get the velocities some of you guys are shooting.

Thanks again, more info the better so if anyone else has something I would appreciate seeing it.

Ian
my cooper varmint in 223 came with a one hole group target
so i phoned cooper and they gave me the load data, wery nice of them hard to improve on the load they had workd up
for this beautyful rifle. Unless a person wants to use
a differn't bullet.

Hi Ian. Here's another load you may want to try if you'd like to go with something lighter than 140 gr range. I load 120 gr Ballistic Tip over 46.0 H4350, and CCI 250 mag primer, out of Lapua case. I haven't clocked it, buddy shot my chrony with his .22-250. It destroys groundhogs, and so far deer out to 600 don't have a chance. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I used to load 142 MKs over 46.0 RE 19, and same primer and case, but it didn't do too hot on live critters. Hope this helps some.

Varmint Hunter

I cannot accurately answer you question, but have just returned from the range,with my 6.5x284. Whilst there, I shot both a 142 SMK and 140 Berger VLD into a 24 inch thick "sandwich" of dry chip boards. I wanted to know the suitability of either for deer sized game, particually expansion and how well they held together when they hit something relatively hard. The SMK penetrated 19inches and retained 124g, showed good expansion (twice diameter) and still had the base and lower section of the jacket attached to the lead core. 140 VLD not as good, retained only 115g and showed core separation, there was a "blow up" in the first 4 inches it had passed into the boards and it then travelled a further 6 inches. Not really an objective test I know but you asked so there's my answer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts