6.5/.264 140 gr amax, Discontinued

I was wondering the same thing. The ELD-X has a BC 625 if I remember right. My
A-max are 585. The videos look good for down range, but I'm not sure I shoot animals that far away often enough to justify $50.00 a box yet.
I'll probably get a box to play with though.

I was looking to order some, looks like they have been replaced by Hornady ELD Match bullets, I use the amax for deer hunting with my creedmor, now I'm not sure how much difference there is in these.

I was wondering the same thing. The ELD-X has a BC 625 if I remember right. My
A-max are 585. The videos look good for down range, but I'm not sure I shoot animals that far away often enough to justify $50.00 a box yet.
I'll probably get a box to play with though.
I'll gladly trade ELD Match for A-Max.

The ELD series is mostly marketing and a chance to raise prices.

The crap about the Tip being the MAJOR problem is a lie, Harold Vaughn already tested this very long ago, and can be read in his books.

In any case, the fact that Hornady refused to list anything but a single number G1, is why THEY had a problem. Despite what they claimed in their White pages, Bryan Litz's work ALREADY accurately describes Hornady's bullets, you just have to use the appropriate drag model, G7.

If you map the 208 A-max against the 212gr ELD-X at the same launch speed(300 WM) The difference is SO minor as to be impractical for all but the best sorts that exist. Slow it down to Creedmoor launch, and the difference becomes statistically identical.

Looks like Midway still has some 140 Amax. Get them while you can. They have the ELD-X on BACKORDER. So at some point neither will probably be available.... And the ELD-X are 8 bucks more per box.

They will probably be great bullets, but performance 2 to 600 yards will probably be almost indistinguishable from the 140 Amax. So you just have the added cost, time, and barrel wear of working up a new load. I have a sweat load with the old 140 Amax and will continue shooting them until I can no longer find them.

I have been been debating for years on using the 140 amax on deer. How do they do?I've heard good and bad stories and been afraid to try them. If I knew for sure they did well I'd just order a ton of them.

The ELD series is mostly marketing and a chance to raise prices.

The crap about the Tip being the MAJOR problem is a lie, Harold Vaughn already tested this very long ago, and can be read in his books.

In any case, the fact that Hornady refused to list anything but a single number G1, is why THEY had a problem. Despite what they claimed in their White pages, Bryan Litz's work ALREADY accurately describes Hornady's bullets, you just have to use the appropriate drag model, G7.

If you map the 208 A-max against the 212gr ELD-X at the same launch speed(300 WM) The difference is SO minor as to be impractical for all but the best sorts that exist. Slow it down to Creedmoor launch, and the difference becomes statistically identical.

Sorry, but the drag profile standard has NOTHING to do with the actual issue. The G7 standard doesn't account for a rapid change in drag form happening .1 to .15 seconds after a TIPPED bullet leaves the barrel. Nobody would argue that the G1 is better for LR than G7 but this is a whole different issue. Just because previous methods didn't show the issue doesn't mean it wasn't happening - the doppler shows it clearly.

Is it "impractical" that taking a 6.5 mm A-Max, that suffers from the tip degradation and has a doppler ave 800 yard BC of G1: .545, G7 BC: .275 and putting the Heat Shield tip in it gives it an 800 yard ave doppler verified BC of G1: .610, G7: .305? That's not marketing hype.

The 208 A-Max has an 800 yard radar verified BC of .620/.311 because of the tip issue. By changing it to ELD Match with the Heat Shield tip it ups it to .670/.336. You could argue that the 212gr ELD-X isn't that much of a gain over the 208gr ELD Match but both of them are significantly higher than the 208 A-Max was, plus one is a hunting bullet and the other is a match bullet.

You may want to re-read the white paper and pay special attention to the CD vs Mach charts and compare them the G1 and G7 drag curves - totally different curves with conventional polymer tipped bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.