140 gr 6.5

I shoot the 147eldms at 2850 using h4350. It has a long throat and 28 inches. Rl-26 will put those 140gr 2950 with no trouble. If I didn't have h4350 I would use rl-16. These 2 powders seem to work real well with the 140 class bullets. Those eldm bullets shoot great.
Shep

Sorry. I have
100 new Hornady brass
100 new Lapua brass

Berger VLD 140 gr
Hornady ELD 140 gr

CCI
Federal
Winchester primers

RL16
Varget
H380 but not much
IMR 4350
And a few others just got to find where I put them

I don't have a chrono right now. The war chief (wife) won't let me buy anymore "gun stuff" for a while.

With both your bullet choices being 140gr, I would focus on R16 and IMR4350. Your Lapua brass is more likely to have more uniform neck wall thickness and a bit less capacity than Hornady but I have had some pretty good results from Hornady too. Between the two, I'd focus on the Lapua and stick with it.

I now do my load development at 500 yards and have found no downside in doing so. Any inconsistencies in velocity will show up as vertical spread at that distance and beyond, and I have never had a load that shoots well at 500 not shoot well at 100. However, it is pretty common to have a load bughole at 100 and fall apart at 500. So, if you have a range that allows it, I highly recommend it.

I'd be surprised if you didn't find a good load between 41 - 42gr R16 and one of your 140gr bullets.

John

Great load for Son and business partner Fierce Firearm CT Edge with 20" 1/8 Carbon wrapped barrel is 142 gr Nosler AB LR ahead of 41.5 grs of RL-17, Lapua Brass and CCI BR-2 primer. They get about 2700 out of that shorty barrel and very accurate.

So after doing some measuring here is what I have.

The OGIVE using the ELD is 2.254. To load 0.020 from the lands would be 2.234. However, it will not fit into a mag. To fit into the mag without touching requires the OGIVE to be 2.166 which is 0.068 from the lands.

Any fix for this or is it a good starting point? I would prefer not single loading.

So after doing some measuring here is what I have.

The OGIVE using the ELD is 2.254. To load 0.020 from the lands would be 2.234. However, it will not fit into a mag. To fit into the mag without touching requires the OGIVE to be 2.166 which is 0.068 from the lands.

Any fix for this or is it a good starting point? I would prefer not single loading.
Load as long as you can shoot it and see what are the results and work backwards from there I have heard of many people finding a good load with extremely long jumps no reason for you to be any different and if you do not want to single load and I do not blame you what other choice do you have

Load as long as you can shoot it and see what are the results and work backwards from there I have heard of many people finding a good load with extremely long jumps no reason for you to be any different and if you do not want to single load and I do not blame you what other choice do you have

I have something I think. I adjusted the seating some more to fit inside a 10 round magpul mag. The round will fit bit it is CLOSE but not touching. OGIVE of 2.254 and now to fit in the mag is 2.188. Which makes the round 0.066 from the lands. I'm going to start here on a few rounds then back down a little more.

Does anybody trim their new cases down any before loading them? Mine are measuring 0.005 to 0.010 of max case length

Last edited:
I have something I think. I adjusted the seating some more to fit inside a 10 round magpul mag. The round will fit bit it is CLOSE but not touching. OGIVE of 2.254 and now to fit in the mag is 2.188. Which makes the round 0.066 from the lands. I'm going to start here on a few rounds then back down a little more.
MDT mags have 2.870 & 2.960 available. The magpul is 2.80 which is very short.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is if you've never done load Development for an AR, be a little more careful working up. You will not likely achieve bolt gun velocities out of an AR before seriously tearing up your brass. Most of my top end AR loads do show light ejector marks but the primer pockets are tight and have stayed that way. Also some metal SR25/AR 10 mags will allow a little longer coal. If you can't find a good load with the 140's with that much jump, the 130 AR hybrids have a short nose but still have a good bc, and were designed specifically for that application.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is if you've never done load Development for an AR, be a little more careful working up. You will not likely achieve bolt gun velocities out of an AR before seriously tearing up your brass. Most of my top end AR loads do show light ejector marks but the primer pockets are tight and have stayed that way. Also some metal SR25/AR 10 mags will allow a little longer coal. If you can't find a good load with the 140's with that much jump, the 130 AR hybrids have a short nose but still have a good bc, and were designed specifically for that application.

Thank you. Yes I thought of that. I have started looking for some metal mags. Right now all I have is plastic. And with all of this crap going on I doubt I can get anything right now.

I do not understadd you guys with the CR the old 6.5 x 55 will out shoot and so will the 260 remington if you use a 1 &8 twist.. 6.5 Remington magnum on a long action will give you 250 fps more. I believe its just a sales gimmick like the WSM,s with the exception of the 325 win.

I do not understadd you guys with the CR the old 6.5 x 55 will out shoot and so will the 260 remington if you use a 1 &8 twist.. 6.5 Remington magnum on a long action will give you 250 fps more. I believe its just a sales gimmick like the WSM,s with the exception of the 325 win.
Do you know how to read a sammi print? Not a dig or a bash Take these sammi prints for all of the 6.5s you mentioned and compare throat lead and angle and what the cartridge was set up for including the sammi twist rate. All the years that the 260 was out and the print still states 1/9twist. Where I live at the ocean that's a no beuno with a 147 which is what I shoot in the creed.
I will say do shoot one you wouldn't want to be one of those creedmoor owners

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.