6.5 140 Partition on Griz.

I will take that wager. The massive energy dump and tissue damage from .375 Ruger will be significantly greater. Bear might have done nose dive on first shot. Look, if you want to say the 6.5CM will kill, I have zero problem with that opinion. Say larger cartridges cannot do it better is ludicrous.
All I can say is the author lives up there and this isn't his first griz. I'll take larger if I ever plan to hunt them. I'll also keep an open mind.

That's an interesting article. There are only a handful of animals on the planet I wouldn't hunt with a 7-08 and a 140 grain partition, and the 6.5 CM isn't far from it. But it wouldn't be my first choice for a grizzly.

That said, I had a salesman in a gun store recently tell me the 6.5 CM just isn't enough gun for deer. I told him that was interesting because Ive had great results with a 243.

I love me some partitions. But just the title will have chuckle heads from far and wide wandering around this state with their 6.5 manbun bear rifles.

Oh well can't legislate common sense.
Well you know the main reason for titles these days lol.

I'd have to agree to disagree. Shot placement is critical but I'd have to say speed and energy play just as big of a roll in DRT results.
And I'll add that with sufficient horsepower behind them and an appropriately constructed projectile, bigger bullets hitting harder offer more options for acceptable fast killing shot placement. If your shooting a deer in the head from 5 feet away then sure, it doesn't mean squat if your using a .22 hornet or a 460 weatherby. If your taking a hard quartering shot through a major joint a bigger bullet inspires confidence and is more dependable. If your hunting things that can hunt you back, and have no guarantee that you'll be offered up an opportunity for absolutely perfect shot placement, especially if one does decide to come at you, then all that "shot placement is all that matters" goes right out the window.

If everything goes exactly right for sure the 6.5 creed is a grizzly rifle and much more…

I find it unwise to go into any kind of hunt expecting, planning, and making my success contingent upon everything going exactly right for me. When things go less than right as Murphy would have them do, overkill beats the alternative.

I am going to tell you this I worked in B.C for almost 3 years was around a lot of black bears no issues you left them alone they left you alone . Then we where out on the cost there where large coastal browns. They made the hair on my neck stand up they new they where the toughest animal out there. I would want nothing smaller than 338 on up that is coming from a 6,5 cal guy

My 2nd cousin lives in back country Alaska. Two track to his place and bit of a recluse. He owns 2 rifles. Both are Winchester M70 .375 H&H. One stationed at front door and one stationed at back door. His mom visited him and left after 2 days into 10 day visit. She told me she could not take the stress of having bears around 100% of time. Solid oak doors, small windows shuttered with steel at night. She walked out on porch with coffee first morning and got chewed out for not having him with rifle on porch. So in his world of big bears 24/7/365, he prefers a cartridge that has the horsepower to get their attention.

I started him hunting when he was 14 with bow and had lots of fun with him. His dad was casualty of Nam. I was single and tried to help out as much as a single guy could. He went into Army, put in quite a few years, took discharge to go to Alaska maybe 30+ years ago.

So IMO, he has good idea what works in Alaska.

My favorite part of these kind of threads is reading them and wondering how many respondents have actually killed grizzlies. Or even bears for that matter…I'll get another bag of popcorn going. 🤣😂
Yeah fair. I've never killed a grizzly bear. Maybe that's why I'd feel so undergunned. Its an animal I haven't hunted that has a reputation.

This reminds me a bit of an article I read years ago, a gun writer from Texas or somewhere like That got his dream hunt come true to have a a shot at a monster Saskatchewan whitetail buck - and he got one too. But i recall he wrote that when he saw the deer he felt silly for having only brought a .270, wished he had a bigger gun 🤣🤣🤣

They're big deer but still just a deer haha, the 270 is about the perfect cartridge for them. And even though I haven't killed a grizzly, I would still hold to my opinion that a gun that's "just perfect" for whitetail hunting, such as the 270 or the notably weaker 6.5 creed, would never be my choice for big bears.

And I'll add that with sufficient horsepower behind them and an appropriately constructed projectile, bigger bullets hitting harder offer more options for acceptable fast killing shot placement. If your shooting a deer in the head from 5 feet away then sure, it doesn't mean squat if your using a .22 hornet or a 460 weatherby. If your taking a hard quartering shot through a major joint a bigger bullet inspires confidence and is more dependable. If your hunting things that can hunt you back, and have no guarantee that you'll be offered up an opportunity for absolutely perfect shot placement, especially if one does decide to come at you, then all that "shot placement is all that matters" goes right out the window.

If everything goes exactly right for sure the 6.5 creed is a grizzly rifle and much more…

I find it unwise to go into any kind of hunt expecting, planning, and making my success contingent upon everything going exactly right for me. When things go less than right as Murphy would have them do, overkill beats the alternative.
^^^^^This