Wow, no one been to Alaska

Alaska hunting sounds a lot like work.

Great for those who can afford it and are financially solvent enough to be able to move supplies and meat + themselves by air.

Pretty well need a reefer unit in your truck box to haul the meat to anywhere in the lower states by land vehicle and dealing with the Canadian authorities if you're packing handguns across Her Majesties Territory is getting to be a pain in the butt.

Just checked my bank balance after Xmas and I'm sticking with the deer in the back yard option.

You're right it looks like a lot of work, those are Big Animals up there, and not a lot of roads.

All my trips to Alaska have been for fishing or hiking/backpacking. Haven't hunted there yet. Someday... Expensive, but one of those things to dream about, plan on, and make happen. Sure am glad I've made the trip several times. Always worthwhile. Really scrounged for money for that first trip back in the 1970's when I was a college kid, working part time to put myself through school. It was worth every penny. Flew in on a float plane from King Salmon, and spent a week backpacking & fishing Katmai National Monument & Valley of 10,000 smokes. Climbed on some glaciers and bagged a minor peak. Heck of a trip.

I think I'd like to do a float trip for caribou or moose someday. Hunt hard, float the river, fish after the hunting is done. That could be one heck of a trip. Here's a few photos of my last trip, Sept 2010:

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

Regards, Guy

Last edited:
I`m here until the 28th,come from Montana,the eastern side,Miles City.been catching some trout and picking BlueBerries,I love them things and there`s none better than what they have here.
visiting Mine Son,D.I.L and three grandchildren,having a wunnerfullll good time.dont want to go back but I got too much in Montana to pull up stakes,it sucks to get so attached to propity and things,cant afford to buy here and claim up residence so I guess I`ll just have to be happy to journey over a couple of times a year and hangout with them Grandchildrens.
I did bring along a few firearms but cant find a place to shoot without there being a possibility of shooting then discovering there`s some hikers or such just out of sight.I will leave the 44 mag and the 375 H&H here for the son but I will take the 45-70 home.
I think the fall is here and the termination snow`s on the mountains,it wo`nt be long now.

Been hunting here since 1988 and moved here in 2001, it's just awful here, don't bother coming here . . . I only stay because I'm thick headed!:)

Can't even take out the trash unarmed cuz I find things like this in my driveway, just awful here guys!
IMGP1747a.jpg

Been hunting here since 1988 and moved here in 2001, it's just awful here, don't bother coming here . . . I only stay because I'm thick headed!:)

Can't even take out the trash unarmed cuz I find things like this in my driveway, just awful here guys!
IMGP1747a.jpg
Thats just "TERRIBLE!!!!!" to have to face such challenges to lst get the garbage ouit.IF an out of state tage warnt so danged much,I`d eliminate that one challenge for You. gun):D
Now it`s time to put on the holster and resolver to go out for a smoke :D

I just got back mid last week from an alpine blacktail trip to Prince of Wales Island. I got asked a few times why I would go up to AK to hunt deer, but it was an absolutely killer trip. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I got myself a nice buck, got to see some killer scenery and learn the difference between waterproof, and Alaska proof. Haha. Getting up into the alpine, especially when you are trying to make your way through miles of muskeg is hard work, but once you get up there, I think it is one of the ultimate hunting experiences. Truthfully it was pretty inexpensive when it comes to out of state hunts.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/images/styles/longrangehunting/attach/jpg.gif

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/images/styles/longrangehunting/attach/jpg.gif

Attachments

• walk down.jpg
    walk down.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 142
  • kill.jpg
    kill.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 181
  • trees.jpg
    trees.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 166
Thats just "TERRIBLE!!!!!" to have to face such challenges to lst get the garbage ouit.IF an out of state tage warnt so danged much,I`d eliminate that one challenge for You. gun):D
Now it`s time to put on the holster and resolver to go out for a smoke :D

Well that guy almost got ended right there! I took a lot of pix as he circled me, phone in one hand S&W 460V in the other. That was the last picture I shot, he had just faced me, lowered that big ole head and huffed, very predatory so i cracked one off into the dirt. He lit out and I didn't hear the wife for days . . . I TIGed shut the holes in that dang compensator after that. :rolleyes:

Well that guy almost got ended right there! I took a lot of pix as he circled me, phone in one hand S&W 460V in the other. That was the last picture I shot, he had just faced me, lowered that big ole head and huffed, very predatory so i cracked one off into the dirt. He lit out and I didn't hear the wife for days . . . I TIGed shut the holes in that dang compensator after that. :rolleyes:
Sometimes it is good to not hear the wifey for a few days,but,not in a manner such as that.LOL the voice of experience and it does happen in instances where a person does`nt have time to instill a set of hearing protectors when firing a pistol or rifle.

You're right it looks like a lot of work, those are Big Animals up there, and not a lot of roads.

All my trips to Alaska have been for fishing or hiking/backpacking. Haven't hunted there yet. Someday... Expensive, but one of those things to dream about, plan on, and make happen. Sure am glad I've made the trip several times. Always worthwhile. Really scrounged for money for that first trip back in the 1970's when I was a college kid, working part time to put myself through school. It was worth every penny. Flew in on a float plane from King Salmon, and spent a week backpacking & fishing Katmai National Monument & Valley of 10,000 smokes. Climbed on some glaciers and bagged a minor peak. Heck of a trip.

I think I'd like to do a float trip for caribou or moose someday. Hunt hard, float the river, fish after the hunting is done. That could be one heck of a trip. Here's a few photos of my last trip, Sept 2010:

IMG_3004.jpg

IMG_2935.jpg

IMG_3012.jpg

IMG_2982.jpg

Regards, Guy

Thats sure looks like some pics from the Tsiu River?

IMG_3012.jpg

Guy M,

seems to me you both are about the same size... Would be a good match! :D

Great pics, thanks for sharing! :)

I have lived there about 47 years lots of hunting and fishing. Its getting almost like other good hunting states with more people than game. There is till lots of hunting left just have to get away from the people.

Bob

IMG_3012.jpg

Guy M,

seems to me you both are about the same size... Would be a good match! :D

Great pics, thanks for sharing! :)

Thought this I posted a while back, you have to admit my comment was a good one.
Cracked me up when I read it again! :D

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.