6.5-06 ai

IIRC, Kirby Allen was a fan of that cartridge; you might talk to him about a build. I have a friend that has one. He used 25-06 brass, and just seated a Nosler ballistic tip to fire form. The boat tail of the bullet was sufficient to expand the case.

The round is pretty cool. It is everything the 25-06 wishes it was and more. Bullet selection for long range guys is absolutely an improvement over the 25-06. Rebarreling my 25-06 to 6.5-06 AI is on my short list of rifle projects.

I had a 6.5-06 AI built for my father (christmas), this is a great round, bullet selection is WAY better than the 25-06 velocity is very close to the .264wm without the complications of the belted case. We're still shooting the 140 XLC until we run out (discontinued), IMR-4350, FED 210 at 3000fps, I believe we can still get more snot out of it, but dad doesn't like to tinker as much as I do!!

I really like this round. Close to 264WM velocity with less powder and recoil. My customers and myself have been using 140 bergers and Retumbo. 3050-3150 depending on barrel length. My personal rifle runs 3150 with a 27" Broughton. Accuracy is amazing. I have a fireform barrel, so I neck up 25-06 brass and shoot it from there. Most of the guys I have built them for either purchased the brass from me with the rifle, or just fireform using light varmint bullets. You can also just seat a bullet into the 25-06 case as along as it has a boat tail as suggested before.

What are you 6.5-06AI shooters doing for dies? I'm in need for some dies now. If anyone knows where some are I would appreciate it.

TMR do you have a 6.5-06AI fireforming rig already set up or do you just swap out a barrel and fireform? As part of your services do you do fireforming only?

Sinclair usually has dies in stock. I have a separate fireforming rifle setup. It just have a take off barrel on it and I swap it around between calibers for forming ackley cases. I generally do it only for customers that I build for and my own personal rifles. Takes alot of time, which this time of the year, isn't in much surplus.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.