6.5-06 ai

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by LongRangeJunkie, Sep 8, 2010.

1. LongRangeJunkie

LongRangeJunkie Active Member

I am looking for any and all information on the 6.5-06 AI. Not that it matters, but I will be shooting 140 grain bullets only. gun)

2. wkinderknecht

wkinderknecht Well-Known Member

IIRC, Kirby Allen was a fan of that cartridge; you might talk to him about a build. I have a friend that has one. He used 25-06 brass, and just seated a Nosler ballistic tip to fire form. The boat tail of the bullet was sufficient to expand the case.

The round is pretty cool. It is everything the 25-06 wishes it was and more. Bullet selection for long range guys is absolutely an improvement over the 25-06. Rebarreling my 25-06 to 6.5-06 AI is on my short list of rifle projects.

3. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

I had a 6.5-06 AI built for my father (christmas), this is a great round, bullet selection is WAY better than the 25-06 velocity is very close to the .264wm without the complications of the belted case. We're still shooting the 140 XLC until we run out (discontinued), IMR-4350, FED 210 at 3000fps, I believe we can still get more snot out of it, but dad doesn't like to tinker as much as I do!!

4. TMR

TMR Well-Known Member

I really like this round. Close to 264WM velocity with less powder and recoil. My customers and myself have been using 140 bergers and Retumbo. 3050-3150 depending on barrel length. My personal rifle runs 3150 with a 27" Broughton. Accuracy is amazing. I have a fireform barrel, so I neck up 25-06 brass and shoot it from there. Most of the guys I have built them for either purchased the brass from me with the rifle, or just fireform using light varmint bullets. You can also just seat a bullet into the 25-06 case as along as it has a boat tail as suggested before.

5. B23

B23 Well-Known Member

What are you 6.5-06AI shooters doing for dies? I'm in need for some dies now. If anyone knows where some are I would appreciate it.

TMR do you have a 6.5-06AI fireforming rig already set up or do you just swap out a barrel and fireform? As part of your services do you do fireforming only?

6. TMR

TMR Well-Known Member

Sinclair usually has dies in stock. I have a separate fireforming rifle setup. It just have a take off barrel on it and I swap it around between calibers for forming ackley cases. I generally do it only for customers that I build for and my own personal rifles. Takes alot of time, which this time of the year, isn't in much surplus.