6.5-06 Ackley or the 264 Win Mag

Hey guys, Guess I should update this thread. It was a fun journey and sad too. I ended up going with the 264 Win Mag. As I stated in the start of this thread it was cause of memories that I settled on the 264. When I was in high school I killed a pretty good black bear using a borrowed 264 and my dad. Well I told him that I was gonna put one together and he was so into it I had too and he was fighting cancer at the time. We had a blast talking about loads, twist rates, bullets, brass...... all that stuff while waiting on the barrel to arrive. I went with a Shillen select match stainless with a 1 in 8 twist, heavy sporter at 26inches. I also had it beadblasted. I put it in a Savage action that we totally rebuilt the bolt and put it in a thumbhole laminated stock that we bedded. He were able to get it all together and get out and shoot it a month before he passed. Was a great time in my life. In fact I have not shot the rifle since. It shot just under an inch with the first group we ever put through it. By the end of the day it was shooting just over a half inch.

I am very pleased with the rifle. I will never get rid of it...... she shoots like a dream. I am shooting Sierra 140 grain gamekings at 2970. Not gonna try and push it any faster it shoots great right were it is. Hoping that I get a antelope tag this year and I will post pics.

Ryan

Very sorry to hear the loss of your father. its never easy, and i still think of my old man every day.

Post some pictures of that BABY!

What a great story! Thank you for sharing such a meaningful memory...I'm sure you two had some great conversations. My own dad passed in 2001...I miss him every day. I hope you continue to use that 264...he would have wanted you to, Im sure of it.

I have a 6.5-06 "standard" built on a savage action that I've pretty well shot out. It shot the 140 Berger VLD hunting bullet right at 3000fps with a stiff load of R-25 1/2 MOA for about 1,000 rounds and has deteriorated to a 1 MOA tube :( I was considering going to the AI chambered 06 in the new barrel, but have decided to give a 28" 264 win mag a try this time just to try something a little different this time. Dies aren't too difficult to get for the 6.5-06AI just a quick google search should settle that issue same for the headspace gauges. I don't think either choice is a poor one. Just be sure that you get at least an 8 twist so you can take full advantage of the high BC 140g class bullets. IMO look to a 28" barrel to get full velocity out of either chambering. In the end, pick the one you like that best fits your circumstances and enjoy it. As a hunting rifle it should last a lifetime as a "target" gun a 1,000 rounds is about the end of it. Stainless barrels are supposedly good for a little more than 1,500. I shall see...
I have a 6.5.06ai and only starting out with it. Currently getting 3115 with 143 eldx with a 26 inch 1:8 barrel

I have a 6.5.06ai and only starting out with it. Currently getting 3115 with 143 eldx with a 26 inch 1:8 barrel
Hey man, just FYI, but that post was from 2012... Don't know if that makes any difference, just making sure you were aware of how old it is.

Lol I realised that after I posted. Was just doing net searches and the thread came up lol
It's all good, it's happened to me a few times, too. I was just making sure you noticed that. Seems to happen a lot with the newer members from the same circumstances (google searches).

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

It's all good, it's happened to me a few times, too. I was just making sure you noticed that. Seems to happen a lot with the newer members from the same circumstances (google searches).

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
Cheers mate. Lot of good info on here. I'm from nz

Cheers mate. Lot of good info on here. I'm from nz
Welcome. We have several members from all over the globe, a few from Oz, a few from NZ, one from Turkey, and one from Norway, that post regularly. I'm sure there's many more than just don't post as much, or that i've just never noticed before. Glad you like the site, I've learned tons of info here over the years, that I never would have learned locally.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.