6.5-06 Ackley imp

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by RockyMtnMT, Jun 9, 2008.

1. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Leaning towards building this. Any of you have comments, good or bad? Want to run 130's or larger for bullets. How about brass prep, major headache, or not too bad? I think somebody in North Dakota makes brass head stamped 6.5-06.

All your input is great, thank you, Steve

2. Wayne Richards

Wayne Richards Member

STEVE,
    Good for most hunting conditions, limited long range because of energy. As for brass Nosler makes 280AI brass,neck it downto 264.
    Wayne

3. RockyMtnMT

Thanks Wayne,

That sounds good. This can be done in one step w/ the sizing die?

What twist should I get for the 130 or heavier class bullets? Thinking about using the scirocco 130 to start w/.

Thanks, Steve

4. RockyMtnMT

Having it built.

Took the old model 70 into McGowen Precision Barrels today to have it re-barreled today.
    Having them build a 24", #4 taper, 8.5 twist, fluted, stainless barrel, in 6.5-06 Ackley imp.
    They should have it done in about 4 weeks.

Does anyone know if I can buy the dies from Redding or RCBS, or will I need to send them the drawing of the reamer to have the dies built?

I'm excited, this should be a great rifle for my son for years to come. Although, he has to shoot his 1st deer with the same 30-30 that I shot my 1st deer with. When he has a son, I will give my son the 30-30 so he can continue the tradition.

Thanks for all the help everyone, Steve