338-06 Ackley Imp.

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Forrest Ebert, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Forrest Ebert

Forrest Ebert Well-Known Member

I was just curious if anybody out there shoots this round? If so would you do it again knowing what you know about it now? I'm thinking of having one built but haven't quite made my mind up yet ?

:D

2. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

Have one, it is an excellent cartridge , and I wouldn't hesitate to do another. Mine is about 150 fps under the 338 win mag. It is a very accurate cartridge and it will take down anything in north america. The beauty of it is tremendous power without a muzzle brake. I like mine best with the 210 swift at .507 BC and the 225 accubond at .55 BC.

3. Forrest Ebert

Thank you for your info. What barrel length are you using and what powders do you use in your loads? I was thinking of a 26" tube with a 1:10 twist and 3 grooves as it will be on a Remington 700 action.

4. Long Time Long Ranger

Long Time Long Ranger Well-Known Member

My best load with it is 66 grains of H-414 with the 210 swift at 2900 fps. I-4350 does very well with it also. I haven't tried Re19 etc but they would probably work well also. Mine is a 26" pac-nor barrel 1-10 twist on a sako action. Start at about 63 and work up.

5. Forrest Ebert

Thanks for the load info mine will be put together by the same people !

6. Kevin Thomas

Kevin Thomas Well-Known Member

I don't really think the added capacity of the AI version amounts to much in the field, but it sure won't hurt anything, either. If you prefer the sharper shoulder, no reason not to go for it! I've had a couple standard 338-06s over the years and just had an M700 action rebarreled this past week in this round. It's a great cartridge in either format, you'll love it.

Kevin Thomas
    Lapua USA

7. archdlx

archdlx Well-Known Member

You may not get much more velocity, but your brass will last a lot longer.

Later....

8. DONTSTROKEME

DONTSTROKEME Well-Known Member

Is this 338-06AI basicly the same thing as a 338 Scovill? I have been looking for info on the 338 Scovill for a few years and the only place of info seemed to bee the Barnes reloading book...#5 I belive.