338-06 Ackley Imp.

Forrest Ebert

I was just curious if anybody out there shoots this round? If so would you do it again knowing what you know about it now? I'm thinking of having one built but haven't quite made my mind up yet ?

:D

Have one, it is an excellent cartridge , and I wouldn't hesitate to do another. Mine is about 150 fps under the 338 win mag. It is a very accurate cartridge and it will take down anything in north america. The beauty of it is tremendous power without a muzzle brake. I like mine best with the 210 swift at .507 BC and the 225 accubond at .55 BC.

Thank you for your info. What barrel length are you using and what powders do you use in your loads? I was thinking of a 26" tube with a 1:10 twist and 3 grooves as it will be on a Remington 700 action.

My best load with it is 66 grains of H-414 with the 210 swift at 2900 fps. I-4350 does very well with it also. I haven't tried Re19 etc but they would probably work well also. Mine is a 26" pac-nor barrel 1-10 twist on a sako action. Start at about 63 and work up.

I don't really think the added capacity of the AI version amounts to much in the field, but it sure won't hurt anything, either. If you prefer the sharper shoulder, no reason not to go for it! I've had a couple standard 338-06s over the years and just had an M700 action rebarreled this past week in this round. It's a great cartridge in either format, you'll love it.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

Is this 338-06AI basicly the same thing as a 338 Scovill? I have been looking for info on the 338 Scovill for a few years and the only place of info seemed to bee the Barnes reloading book...#5 I belive.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.