6=284 Loads

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Hollister DeLong, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Hollister DeLong

Hollister DeLong New Member

I just picked up an FN Mauser made for Mexico. It is in 6-284. I calibrated the twist at 1:11 and the barrel length is 23" (UNKNOWN MANUFACTURER). What is the heaviest bullet that this barrel will shoot accurately? What is a good load to start with? Of course I want the fastest, most accurate and safest load I can possibly get with the least amount of effort on my part...I want a winning lottery ticket, as well :)

2. MontanaRifleman

MontanaRifleman Well-Known Member

Bullet stability will depend on weight and length of bullet, velocity and altitude. Berger has a twist rate stability calculator. With an 11 twist, you wont be able to use some of the higher BC bullets due to their weight and length.

http://www.bergerbullets.com/products/target-bullets/

For load info, google 6x284 load data and you should get a bunch of results. Nosler, Hodgdon, Alliant and some other sites also have online data. RL17 should be a good performer in the 6x284.

Hope that helps

Mark

3. Outlaw6.0

Outlaw6.0 Well-Known Member

The 6-284 is among my favorite cartridges. I do have to offer you some consolation on very short bbl & slow twist.

JBM - Calculations - Stability

^^ here is a link to a stability calculator, this will be your friend :D

Depending on altitude & velocity, I would imagine the 87grn V-Max would be your best. It should stabilize (I hope) & offers a decent BC to boot.

I run a 28" 1-8" twist Kreiger with bullets over 100grains only, I can't really help with the load data part.

t

4. MontanaRifleman

I was thinking of the 6.5x284 when I recommended RL17. It might be a little on the fast side for the 6mm version, but with lighter bullets, it might work OK. Slower powders like Retumbo and H1000 might be good candidates.

5. MontanaRifleman