6-284 long range antelope load

Iron Worker,

My 6mm-284 using the 107 gr Sierra Mk's likes to be loaded into the lands as well, in fact quite hard into the lands.

I seat my ammo 0.050" long and since my necks are sized around 0.0015" under bullet diameter, when chambered the bullet engages teh rifling and as teh bolt is locked down the bullet is forced back into the case by the rifling.

THis is a BR trick and works very well but can also be tricky and dangerous if your cases are not sized correctly.

I will also admit that one can get higher velocities when loads are properly and carefully worked up with the bullet off the rifling.

This was Wby's claim to fame with the freebore designed throat. Generally there is at least some loss in accuracy for the sake of velocity.

In your situation, I would look at your cases to make sure they have not fire hardened. If they have they need to be either replaced or annealed.

This will often cause the bolt lift resistance you are discribing if there are no burrs present on your extractor cam surfaces.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.