338-284 Loads

jhendri2

I just got my 338-284 back from Pac-Nor a couple of weeks ago and fired 50 fireforming loads using 338-06 data.

I was just wondering if anybody has done much experimenting with this round.
Any secret recipes out there? If not I will start with 338-06 "starting" load data and work up. Any thoughts.

I know this is not a long range round, but thought I would pose the question here anyway.

Jim

Jim
While I never tried that round, don't limit it as a long range hunting round. Certainly it's no 1,500 yard gun but with the 300 grain MK it would be very deadly out there quite a ways. It doesn't take much velocity due to the very high BC. For example, let's say you launch that bullet at a mere 2,200 fps. You would have nearly 1200 foot pounds of energy at 1,000 yards. The drop would be great (around 46 scope inches) but the energy is still there. Don't underestimate that little cartridge. Have fun and keep us posted on your results.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.