53gr vs 55gr V-Max

yotayoda

I have a 223AI with a 9twist barrel that I'd like to take for some prairie dogs. Which bullet should I choose? I'm thinking the 53gr looks better on paper- higher BC and better speed. If so, why is there even a 55gr option?

depends on what your barrel likes
my 223 likes the 55gr bullets (1:9 twist) --actually prefers the NBT slightly over the vmax
my 22-250 likes the 53 gr v-max the best (1:14 twist)

you might look at the 52gr eld-m bullets also

For .223, unless you are shooting extended ranges over 500-600, flip a coin. Shoot what your rifles likes best.
I shoot the 50gr V-Max in my AR @ 3310fps. Whoops coyotes and Jack's out to 500 easily.

The 53s — wonderful as they are — won't stabilize in the 1:14" or slower twist-rate barrels, which almost all store-bought .22 CFs come with (unfortunately.)
My nice Swift and Remington .22-250 sit in the safe most of the time because of that, while I shoot the cheap Savage FV I bought just because it has a 1:12; it's quite accurate with either the 55 or 53 V-Maxes. I shoot mostly groundhogs, and the 53s seem to splatter a wee bit more at longer distances — where they buck the wind better, too.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.