510 Allen Mag testing!!

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
These are always fun to work with. Love the big 50s.
8E9AC8EF-874F-4BFA-8481-08DECB4BA223.jpeg

this is one of my HBR rifles i build. This one uses the very large BAT LX receiver with 40 moa base, 34" stainless, fluted, bartlein 1-15 twist heavy straight taper barrel. McMillan Beast stock, Jewell trigger, and my Super 6 port PK muzzle brake. Roughly 38 lbs with vortex Razor HD in the saddles.

customer wanted to use an easy to find bullet so we went with the old work horse 750 gr Amax which admittedly is rather average ballistically these days but is accurate and good all around 50 cal.

this rifle is chambered in my 510 Allen Magnum wildcat which is my version of an improved 50 bmg wildcat With my shoulder angle and case body taper design to offer great performance at max working pressures.

worked the load up using H50bmg again as the customer wanted easy to find components(have lots of this on the rack). We decided on two loads after load development was done. A mid level load, 250.0 gr which produced 2900 fps (14,000 ft/lbs energy) and a top performance load that produced a solid 3000 fps (15,000 ft/lbs energy).

one would not expect to feel this much difference between these two loads and while the 2900 fps load is significant, its much more comfortable then the 3000 fps load!!

A2992EA4-CDDF-4F1E-A54B-6270570EE2F1.jpeg

not a small round!! 😳. The 510 AM also has the advantage of being able to shoot quality 50 bmg ammo safely. I say quality because most surplus grade ammo will not even fit in my chambers. those that will, are totally safe to shoot and EXTREMELY mild as far as recoil goes.

tested this morning at 580, 1025, 1340 and 1590 yards as the customer ordered the rifle with drop chart developed as well and once zeroed this big girl was dead on for drops out to 1600 and all the way back.

These rifles are not my money makers but they are what i am passionate about and a big reason why i got into the business. Even the reason for my call sign of Fiftydriver!!
4BE5A797-EBA9-4D31-8C37-907A7F8AB86F.jpeg

4F7F4705-865C-445F-8994-A2A13155780E.jpeg

while the 510 AM has been out classed by my 510 Maximus and 458 Maximus as far as sheer ballistic performance, its still an extremely user friendly option with huge performance. With this set up, the Vortex Razor gen 2 will allow dial up shooting to 2400 yards using the main crosshair, then you have the reticle reference points over that. Supersonic velocity is maintained to past 3300 yards at my elevation. While the 510 Maximus will push this to 3500-3600 yards and the 458 Maximus will extend past 4000 yards, neither are as user friendly. The 510 AM is just hard to beat for fun all around extreme performance in the 1/2" class rifles.

Unfortunately, your government leaders made it all but impossible to import this class of rifle into your country after 911…..😡😡. Kalifornia is the same way. I have a Kalifornia compliant design that is 50 thou shorter in headspace so standard 50 bmg ammo can not fit in them. So far it has worked but has not really been challenged yet either…. Have found no way to work around your governments restrictions….

Unfortunately, your government leaders made it all but impossible to import this class of rifle into your country after 911…..😡😡. Kalifornia is the same way. I have a Kalifornia compliant design that is 50 thou shorter in headspace so standard 50 bmg ammo can not fit in them. So far it has worked but has not really been challenged yet either…. Have found no way to work around your governments restrictions….
Nope. And I doubt you will. As I pointed out in another thread, this is the height of Canadian stupidity: I legally own a 14 inch barreled pump 12 guage with no buttstock. A standard Canadian firearms license is all that's needed, not restricted. I ordered it online and it shipped right to my door. No questions no wait time, no American style tax stamps or FFL required.

The 460 weatherby is now illegal here. Too powerful. Idiotic.

I suggested creating a chart or graph comparing the amount of crimes committed over the last 50 years with sawed off shotguns compared to weatherby mark V safari rifles…. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

@Fiftydriver … can I ask why there's 4 scope rings holding the optic in place? Is that just a heavy recoil/muzzle blast insurance policy of some kind ?
My PK muzzle brakes are extremely efficent at reducing felt recoil but just as good at producing extreme negative G forces as well, this causes scopes to slip in the rings, rings to slip on the rail and rails to slip on the receiver.

so to prevent that, i pin the rail base to the receiver. Then use four rings, two positioned forward in the rail slots to support and control recoil energy, the other two are positioned rearward in the base slots to control the negative G forces generated by the brake.

only way i have found to absolutely keep a heavy scope solidly in place long term with my muzzle brakes using these extreme rounds. It costs more to set up but very cheap price to pay to know your scope will never slip.

My PK muzzle brakes are extremely efficent at reducing felt recoil but just as good at producing extreme negative G forces as well, this causes scopes to slip in the rings, rings to slip on the rail and rails to slip on the receiver.

so to prevent that, i pin the rail base to the receiver. Then use four rings, two positioned forward in the rail slots to support and control recoil energy, the other two are positioned rearward in the base slots to control the negative G forces generated by the brake.

only way i have found to absolutely keep a heavy scope solidly in place long term with my muzzle brakes using these extreme rounds. It costs more to set up but very cheap price to pay to know your scope will never slip.
Curious if you epoxy bed the rail and/or rings, or feel it isn't needed?

Im not sure a lot of these guys know how long Kirby has been doing this.

When I first got into LRH in the mid 2000's Kirby was already well established as a source of fact and was playing with some BIG boomers.

Pretty much everything many of us learned came from Shawn Carlock and Kirby Allen.

Glad to see your still building awesome rifles. Glad to see your taking time to post them on the forums.

These are always fun to work with. Love the big 50s.
View attachment 437887

this is one of my HBR rifles i build. This one uses the very large BAT LX receiver with 40 moa base, 34" stainless, fluted, bartlein 1-15 twist heavy straight taper barrel. McMillan Beast stock, Jewell trigger, and my Super 6 port PK muzzle brake. Roughly 38 lbs with vortex Razor HD in the saddles.

customer wanted to use an easy to find bullet so we went with the old work horse 750 gr Amax which admittedly is rather average ballistically these days but is accurate and good all around 50 cal.

this rifle is chambered in my 510 Allen Magnum wildcat which is my version of an improved 50 bmg wildcat With my shoulder angle and case body taper design to offer great performance at max working pressures.

worked the load up using H50bmg again as the customer wanted easy to find components(have lots of this on the rack). We decided on two loads after load development was done. A mid level load, 250.0 gr which produced 2900 fps (14,000 ft/lbs energy) and a top performance load that produced a solid 3000 fps (15,000 ft/lbs energy).

one would not expect to feel this much difference between these two loads and while the 2900 fps load is significant, its much more comfortable then the 3000 fps load!!

View attachment 437889

not a small round!! 😳. The 510 AM also has the advantage of being able to shoot quality 50 bmg ammo safely. I say quality because most surplus grade ammo will not even fit in my chambers. those that will, are totally safe to shoot and EXTREMELY mild as far as recoil goes.

tested this morning at 580, 1025, 1340 and 1590 yards as the customer ordered the rifle with drop chart developed as well and once zeroed this big girl was dead on for drops out to 1600 and all the way back.

These rifles are not my money makers but they are what i am passionate about and a big reason why i got into the business. Even the reason for my call sign of Fiftydriver!!
View attachment 437895

View attachment 437896

while the 510 AM has been out classed by my 510 Maximus and 458 Maximus as far as sheer ballistic performance, its still an extremely user friendly option with huge performance. With this set up, the Vortex Razor gen 2 will allow dial up shooting to 2400 yards using the main crosshair, then you have the reticle reference points over that. Supersonic velocity is maintained to past 3300 yards at my elevation. While the 510 Maximus will push this to 3500-3600 yards and the 458 Maximus will extend past 4000 yards, neither are as user friendly. The 510 AM is just hard to beat for fun all around extreme performance in the 1/2" class rifles.
Significant sage rat rifle right there!!! Seriously, what a work of art! Would love to shoot one of these!!!

Curious if you epoxy bed the rail and/or rings, or feel it isn't needed?
Never, not needed. Rail pinned, prevents any possible rail slippage, four ring set up positioned correctly prevents any possible ring slippage and properly installed scope into quality rings prevents any scope slippage. Never had a scope slip in the rings. In my experience, ring to base slippage causes most scope to ring slippage….

interestingly enough, without the muzzle brake, two quality rings will easily support any quality of recoil but there may be some scope to ring slippage with only two rings….

if a base is manufacturer to properly fit and fill the rail slot as they were intended to do with this type of rail, that meaning, having a lug with a quality snug fit into the rail slot, this would be a none issue. Unfortunately, variations in rails and rings do not allow this very often…. Four ring system is bullet proof cure. Some say unnecessary, perhaps with most muzzle brakes and most chamberings. I have witnessed early on my rifles shooting perfect for 20-30 rounds and then having obvious vertical stringing at long range. all mounting bolts remained tight.

reassemble the rifle and optical system, rifle would shoot great for 20-30 rounds and then vertical stringing again. Pinned rail, same results.

tested just multi rings and no pinned rail, same results, combined pinned rail with multi rings POSITIONED CORRECTLY on the rail, problem solved long term…. Since then has just been my recommendation to avoid any potential issue long term with my muzzle brakes and my wildcats.

Im not sure a lot of these guys know how long Kirby has been doing this.

When I first got into LRH in the mid 2000's Kirby was already well established as a source of fact and was playing with some BIG boomers.

Pretty much everything many of us learned came from Shawn Carlock and Kirby Allen.

Glad to see your still building awesome rifles. Glad to see your taking time to post them on the forums.
Back then Shawn and i were the Young Guns ruffling feathers in the industry trying to push the performance envelope to the max and beyond. Now we are getting a bit older but still pushing as hard as we can. Just do things a little different but still pushing!!