50gr vmax

xsn10s

Normally I shot 55gr Nosler BT's, and though they worked well I wanted something more explosive past 400 yards. Well shot some rats out to around 200 last week, many these thing put the hurt on. My buddy took a large badger at 120 yards, drt with a 223. I can't wait to move up to the 53gr VMAX.

XSN -

Howdy !

The old-school .224" cal Hornady 55 SX has been my go-to varmint bullet for use on groundhogs, for 40+yr !

I've tried the many 55gr poly tipped offerings and have found none that out perform the 55SX on lethality, or accuracy ( my rifle(s), my loads ). I know when/if I have to reach for " something else ".

With regards,
357Mag

I never tried the SX on chucks but they haven't been as explosive of rat for me. But I'm glad they work for you! Hopefully I'll get on some chucks this year with the VMAX's

My favorite Ground Squirrel bullet is the 53 grain v-max out of several 223's I have! Just waiting for things to warm up, dry out, & the squirrels to come out!!!!

My favorite Ground Squirrel bullet is the 53 grain v-max out of several 223's I have! Just waiting for things to warm up, dry out, & the squirrels to come out!!!!
I just found 2 boxes of 53gr VMAX's locally a couple of days ago. Looks like it may rain most of next week so I'm in the same boat as you.

My AR is shooting 40gr v Max's at 3500. They are rather explosive. I use em on coyotes and they do not exit leaving a fur that's in great condition.

Normally I shot 55gr Nosler BT's, and though they worked well I wanted something more explosive past 400 yards. Well shot some rats out to around 200 last week, many these thing put the hurt on. My buddy took a large badger at 120 yards, drt with a 223. I can't wait to move up to the 53gr VMAX.
I have been shooting 50 and 53 gr vmax for a while now and love their performance. I have killed rabbits, rock chucks, badgers, coyotes and fox with them. They are explosive on the little critters and fur friendly on the big ones, at least with my 223 :)

I've used V-Max's & the SX bullets, either are fine choices for prairie dogging.
I'm loving the VMAX's so far. I have one box of SX's too so I'll give them a shot.

My AR is shooting 40gr v Max's at 3500. They are rather explosive. I use em on coyotes and they do not exit leaving a fur that's in great condition.
Thanks I'll remember that if I decide to hunt for pelts this year.

I have been shooting 50 and 53 gr vmax for a while now and love their performance. I have killed rabbits, rock chucks, badgers, coyotes and fox with them. They are explosive on the little critters and fur friendly on the big ones, at least with my 223 :)
So far they are awesome of the sagerats and badgers we shot. I just got some 53gr that I was going to load in my HBAR. But may have traded for a 22-250 so if that happens I want to try the 53gr VMAX's in that.

All the yotes I've shot with the 40gr v Max's have been bang flops too which is nice. They drop em faster than my buddy's 6.5CM

All the yotes I've shot with the 40gr v Max's have been bang flops too which is nice. They drop em faster than my buddy's 6.5CM
Something better than the 6.5 CM??????? Please say it ain't so! Just kidding, just kidding lol. At what distances you hunt with the 40gr on yote? Or max distance with the AR15 using 40gr on yotes?

Something better than the 6.5 CM??????? Please say it ain't so! Just kidding, just kidding lol. At what distances you hunt with the 40gr on yote? Or max distance with the AR15 using 40gr on yotes?

My mistake I forget that magical abilities of the Creedmoor. It must be picking up the coyotes and throwing them 50 yards. Ok just kidding.

Max distance for me with the 40 gr would be 400 yards. They shoot pretty flat to that range but wind messes with them quite a bit after 300 yards.

My mistake I forget that magical abilities of the Creedmoor. It must be picking up the coyotes and throwing them 50 yards. Ok just kidding.

Max distance for me with the 40 gr would be 400 yards. They shoot pretty flat to that range but wind messes with them quite a bit after 300 yards.
I thought less with other brands but haven't tried the 40 gr VMAX's. Thanks for the tip!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts