110 Vmax in 308

Nomad

Thoughts on using the 110 Vmax in a 308 for shooting varmints at any range
infornation says that they go out to 350 yards ok.
Has one one got information on reloading these rounds?

My friend uses the 110grn V-Max, out of his 308 Winchester, for varminting. He loves it, and he has made kills all the way out to 800 yards with this bullet. It provides massive splat factor. He runs it out of his 26" barrel at around 3300fps using 53grns of Winchester 748.

I am having a rifle built around the 110grn V-Max and 125grn Ballistic Tip bullet. However, I will be using it out of specialized 300 WSM rifle called the 300 Varminter. This rifle will shoot the 125grn BT at 4000+fps out of a Bartlien 30", 1-15 twist barrel. Richard Franklin is building my rifle, and he specializes and designes high velocity rifles for varmintig. Look at his web page under Richard's Custom Rifles.

W.

My friend uses the 110grn V-Max, out of his 308 Winchester, for varminting. He loves it, and he has made kills all the way out to 800 yards with this bullet. It provides massive splat factor. He runs it out of his 26" barrel at around 3300fps using 53grns of Winchester 748.

I am having a rifle built around the 110grn V-Max and 125grn Ballistic Tip bullet. However, I will be using it out of specialized 300 WSM rifle called the 300 Varminter. This rifle will shoot the 125grn BT at 4000+fps out of a Bartlien 30", 1-15 twist barrel. Richard Franklin is building my rifle, and he specializes and designes high velocity rifles for varmintig. Look at his web page under Richard's Custom Rifles.

W.

Wildcat , glad to see you still posting. you have been talking up this rifle for some time now. will it really work ????? or is it still a mystical. SPOOKY type of thing. PLEASE keep us up-dated!!!!!!!!!!!!
UB

UNCLEB, my 300 Varminter will be completed in March or early April. The other owners of the 300 Varminter are reporting awesome performance out to 800 yards. The guys using the 125gn BT are pushing it to 4065fps, with excellent accuracy out to 800 yards aswell.

W.

Last edited:
Thoughts on using the 110 Vmax in a 308 for shooting varmints at any range
infornation says that they go out to 350 yards ok.
Has one one got information on reloading these rounds?

Can't help on the loading info, but I have shot a lot of the V-max through my 300 WM pd gun. Very good choice IMO for the range you are looking for. Driven fast they can come apart, but you likely won't get to that point in a 308.

I try to wait for a pd laying on the mound to line up facing me and then shoot him in the nose. In this way the pd is getting the full effect of the V-max. What is left is wee little pd parts spread over 30 feet behind the mound. It is the closest thing you can get to "vaporizing" a pd.

The 125 NBT is my choice from 400 to 750 yds. It is not as frangible as the 110, but it will open them up quite well. I have had better luck with the 125 when driven fast, and they are a little more accurate in my rifle.

Jim

I use the Speer 125 TNT for varminting and plinking. Its really cheap in the 500 bullet bulk packs, shoots 1/2 MOA with a few different loads in my rebarrelled Mauser and has light recoil. Unless I'm hunting deer and pigs with a 178 A-Max, the TNT is the only other bullet I bother to shoot in my 308 any more.

Cheap, accurate and low recoil; whats not to love?

Waltec Jim,

I will be pushing the 125grn BT at 4025fps out of the 300 Varminter built by Richard Franklin. So it should be pretty devestating on Pdogs and ground squirrel out to 800 yards.

I did some load development with the 110 VMax in the 308, and 30-06. Here's what I found,

308 Winchester
26" factory bbl Rem 700 VS

110gr VMax, moly'd
Win. brass
2.72" OAL
CCI200 primer
53gr W748 3300 fps
54gr W748 3350 fps
55gr W748 3400 fps

All three loads ran between .5-.8 moa

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
30-06
Rem 700
Douglas #7 10-twist stainless steel
Hornady 110gr V-Max, moly'd
Brass: Norma
OAL 3.20"
Reloader-15
63 gr
3750 fps - 26" bbl
3570 fps - 22" bbl

sub .5 moa accurate

Nomad, I shoot the 110 V-MAXs out of a DPMS AP-4 and they are great. Last year 350 yd shoots were the norm with this combo. The Rum and 257 Wby are for the farther dogs.

I would say the 110grn V-Max will be good out to around 600 yards. Let us know how they work for you.

P44

Waiting for the snow to melt. Still a lot to be had but will keep the post
coming. Glad to see the post come in and has helped.
Thanks Montana Marine for your post.

not so good for me...

I have been trying the 110 vmax in my 308 and haven't had too much luck. I cant seem to do much better than one inch at 100 yards...and when you translate that to real world hunting for varmints....well it is pretty poor shooting. I did see the 53 grain recipe for the 748 powder and I will be working my way up to that or somewhere close in my rifle....to see if I can get better accuracy. I have been using imr4064 and I am just not impressed at all...I hope to get my 308 shooting better, so I am still on the search for the right powder. I have some 748...so that is my next option. gun)

Hi Guys
Ive used the 110vmax in my 300wby Accumark 4000+fps and extremely accurate.Ive shot rabbits at over 500meters with it.

Cheers
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.