53gr vmax

Anyone using the 53gr vmax? What are your thoughts on it. I have them shooting about a half inch in an 8 twist barrel. Better than the 55s surprisingly.

It's not surprising because I've only heard good things about the 53gr V-Max. I bought 1,000 50gr Zombie bullets (V-Max w. green tip) some time ago. They shoot very well from my 221FB and 223 rifles. If I ever shoot them all, I'll give the 53gr version a try.

I've got a ruger predator with ar mag. I loaded them to mag length so I could shoot them in either it or my ar. Only shot them from the ruger so far but they have done way better than the 55 vmax. I've only tried the one powder so far but it's good enough for 1/2" groups with these 53s and the 73gr eldm also. I'm plenty happy with that accuracy for the 300yd max distance I have to shoot. Central nc isn't known for its long shots. I've got some asc stainless 5rd mags that let me load to 2.312 oal but only use them in the ruger.

Coyote bullets need to be on the tougher side, and an 8Twist makes them better suited for p. dogs than coyotes. You have to shoot coyotes from all kinds of weird angles, and quartering shots have to penetrate 8-12 inches.

In an 8 twist, the Sierra 55g BTHP is an excellent tough bullet for breaking bones and penetration, we used them a lot.

I have used 55g Nosler ballistic tips on coyotes from 3350-4050 fps and they never fail to penetrate well.

I have a friend that night hunts with a 22/204 shooting the 53's in a 12 twist and he says that he has lost a few past 200, he went to the 55g sierra bthp. All of the Sierra 55g Spt would do well in the 8 Twist. We used 14 and 12 twists from 222-22/250 AI with all manors of 40,45,50, 55g Sierra spt. RPM of the 8 Twists changes the depth of penetration on impact.

In my 8T, 22/243 AI I shoot the 80g A max, and this bullet holds up very well.

Notice how Iron worker is using the 53g on p. dogs

I would also think on a coyote they would be a little light. I'm shooting groundhogs and other small stuff with them. For bigger stuff I would probably use at a barns tsx or maybe the 64gr nosler solid base, both plenty tough.

I shot a lot of coyotes with a 222 Rem with 40 Sierra hp, 45g Sierra spt(meant to be a high-velocity bullet for the 220 Swift), 50g Sierra spt, and all of the 55g Sierra spt with the exception of the blitz kings. The 55g Hornady Sp and the Sierra 55g BTHP are the toughest of the 55g bullets that I have found, not including Barnes. I have not shot the Lapua 55g spot.

Also used the 55g Winchester which is a fairly soft bullet, but not as soft as the 55g Speer spt in the 223 Bolt guns and 22/250 which just mangled coyotes up.

8T, I would run a 75g A max, but I have never killed anything with them

I tried the 60g Sierra in a 22/250 and they did not expand.

If there were any to be found, a 69g Tipped match king should be a great coyote bullet.

Mine loves 80gr match kings just kissing the lands. Gotta single load them but it shoots them things. Down to my last 25 now. I wonder what they would do?

I dumped coyotes with 55 gr Ballistic Tip. It's a tougher bullet plus the base is solid. Some have taken deer with that bullet, but I haven't. But it's been a reliable coyote killer in 223 rem and 22-250. For longer range I was looking at 75 ELDM's but have read that the TMK's are more reliable. I'd probably try the 77 gr SMK's too and just clear the tips.

I need to call ruger and order the aics style mag adaptor so I can mag feed the long ones. Got lucky with the 73gr eldm in that at they fit the acs stainless steel mags at 2.312" and shoot extremely good. With that length they are just off the lands and made to load at ar mag length so I can get a little more powder in case and keep velocity up.

I need to call ruger and order the aics style mag adaptor so I can mag feed the long ones. Got lucky with the 73gr eldm in that at they fit the acs stainless steel mags at 2.312" and shoot extremely good. With that length they are just off the lands and made to load at ar mag length so I can get a little more powder in case and keep velocity up.
Some have cut out the front of the stainless ACS mags and machined the AR lowers so they can seat out the 75 ELDM's and run them. Boyds makes an AICS bottom metal for the Ruger American. Might look into a Boyds stock and aics bottom metal.

I'm ok with the factory stock. They made the mag well universal in that you attach a block made for ar mags, aics style mags, and the rotary mag. The action screws hold it in. I think it's about 30 bucks for the new block and mag release plus the cost of mags. I would change the stock but it is so light and handy like it is.