500 S&W (bear hunting)

IMO bear defense is about CNS hits, anything but that and you're bound to get beat up!. Accuracy first, then power all combined with a handgun that you can control and reaquire the target with the least amount of mucking around.

For me, I'll take my G20 in a chest holster along with BB ammo. We all have our choices as to how to protect ourselves. I have 4 Glocks (44, 43X, 17 and a 20) and I work with them a ton load. All @ close range and all going as fast as I can and still keep the rounds inside my fist.

Just my thoughts

I've fired my 5" 500 as fast as I could pull the trigger for all five rounds and was able to control it. But, I shoot large calibers with no issues (at least not yet). Corbin used to make 500 S&W Special which would be better for most people. I don't think they make that anymore. If you are recoil sensitive carry the Springfield XDM in 10mm with hard cast loads. 17 rounds on tap. S&W makes a 10mm revolver too but it's hard to find at reasonable prices.

I've fired my 5" 500 as fast as I could pull the trigger for all five rounds and was able to control it. But, I shoot large calibers with no issues (at least not yet). Corbin used to make 500 S&W Special which would be better for most people. I don't think they make that anymore. If you are recoil sensitive carry the Springfield XDM in 10mm with hard cast loads. 17 rounds on tap. S&W makes a 10mm revolver too but it's hard to find at reasonable prices.
I have and use S&W 500 in a 4". I didn't realize they built a 5" to start with. I use a load of H110 @ 43.7 grs with L.R.P behind a 325gr Barnes. Velocity 2015, and 3156fpe. Good luck!
What I can't get attached is a slow motion file of me using my 500 smith. You would see that firing a 500 is a work out.

I have and use S&W 500 in a 4". I didn't realize they built a 5" to start with. I use a load of H110 @ 43.7 grs with L.R.P behind a 325gr Barnes. Velocity 2015, and 3156fpe. Good luck!
What I can't get attached is a slow motion file of me using my 500 smith. You would see that firing a 500 is a work out.
They don't, it's 4" inch but I typed 5 by mistake. It's actually 3" with a 1" compensator but they call it 4".

I often, OK every time state that, "if you can use 10 plus, somewhat aimed rounds from a 10 mm…..you were not under attack"!

If you start firing at a distance where, even a fairly competent shooter can semi-accurately empty a magazine….it's very likely that you will be losing your hunting privilege, pay a large fine and possibly spend some time in jail!

Thanks, but I'd prefer one or 2 rounds from a powerful, large bore revolver at close range to the "spray and pray" concept! memtb
Agree the more powerful round the better. Dead serious attacks happen in 3-5 blinks of the eye. Unbelievably fast. Bears that ignite into a killing charge from close range react faster than Mohammad Ali in his prime.

But as far as jail, I prefer that to a casket. No longer give an ugly acting bear any benefit of the doubt. If they're standing their ground within 30yds and obviously aware of my presence, one of three things happen. They die; I die shooting to kill; we both end up dead. As of today, I remain alive.

B3F5BC80-D77B-40D0-B119-B42A43F53A5F.jpeg

"A .45 Colt is not designed to bring down a 988-pound bear instantly. It is not big enough," he said. "You need a bigger gun."

This guy put 3 rounds with a 45 Colt into the bear and was wishing he had a bigger gun, neighbor showed up with a 12 gauge and killed the brownie inside his house with a 1 oz copper slug

Lots of guys on the internet keep saying a lighter recoiling handgun is better because it's easier to shoot & carry

What's the point if it can't kill the bear ?

I bought the original 500 S&W with the 8 3/8" barrel at Brown Bear Guns in Kodiak in 2003 and have been carrying it everywhere I go since .... packed it up mountains on goat hunts several times, my solo moose hunts via ATV & solo black bear hunts hiking up into the mountain valleys around Seward & the 500 is always on my left side, butt forward..
With practice I can draw (almost as fast as Trinity) & put 5 shots into a 22" steel plate at 25 steps & this is with hardcast 500 gr WLN LBT style bullets I cast myself with a bullet I designed and had a custom mold made
Have the Ruger SRH in 454 Casull that I carried before but now it's the wifes side arm when I take her moose hunting

Any average adult male in good physical condition can learn to shoot it and carry it around, It's not that bad.. most of the complaints are highly exaggerated and a myth has been created about a monster

Little old ladies & their folklore tales, lol !

It's been stated a long time ago that a 12ga works very good and quick to use. A man hunting Pheasants in Choteau area of Montana several years back came into contact with a Grizz. On his 3rd shot he plug the bear in the head. That was a 20ga. That did it in. I saw the hide at the gamewarden office there. I was asking the farmers there about that area for pheasant hunting. They told me there was 12 griz in in 12 mile going to the feed lot.

I do enjoy big bore handgun conversations.
The .500 S&W is complete overkill. The X frame is huge!
There are many alternatives that will get the job done just as easily and not be in such a large, heavy package.
If you only want it for last chance self defense, I suggest a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan 2.5" in .480 Ruger (basically a shortened .475 Linebaugh). Use a 370 grain hardcast bullet around 1200 fps and it will handily kill brownies or anything else that roams North America. The Alaskan is not a small revolver but it is more compact and lighter by a pound than a X-frame .500 S&W.
If the revolver will be for actual hunting of black bears, a .44 mag will do it. If you are lucky enough to hunt Brown Bears / Grizz, I suggest a Magnum Research BFR or a Freedom Arms Model 83, either in .475 Linebaugh at least, or a .500 JRH.
A .420 - .440 grain hardcast bullet at 1250+ fps will do the job.
Whatever you get, practice, practice.

I haven't look at a 500 in a long time. I see they are making different typs now. 1 with a very short barrel. Interesting but I don' t thing I am going to run down and get one.

To drift off of subject a bit…….IMO the 460 offers a lot more versatility with lower recoil (even with heavy 360 - 400 grain bullets), with very little sacrificed in "stopping" ability! memtb

I own the 2 1/2" Ruger Alaskan 454 Casull for Boo Boo. 335gr hard cast lead bullets @~1,200fps.
The 4" compensated S&W 500 for Yogi. 435gr hard cast lead bullets @~1,250fps.

Sometimes you just want the biggest and baddest hand cannon for the fun of it. I load a SW500 with Lil Gun and 350 gr pills and can consistently put the first round in a 3" circle at 15 yards. This is with a 4" ported barrel. Second shots are slower for sure, but not many things are still coming toward you after the first shot. It is literally a blast to shoot and also a great time to watch your buddies shoot. The reaction is priceless.
D3B69E62-125A-4EBD-A1CE-0115B5CCDFDF.jpeg