50 cal

screech

Hey guy's. any one have any info on the big 50's. I was wondering what ones are better than others. Barret, armalite? Thanks

If you get a barrett, get the M99 single shot, it will shoot dramatically more accurately then any of the Barrett semi-autos.

I have shot several 50 cals ranging from the big McMillan BR rifles down to $1500 economy rifles. On the lower end of the price scale I would recommend the following. By lower end I mean under $4000. In no order here:

Armalite AR50
Barrett M99
LAR Grizzly
Serbu

All of these are very accurate rifles if fed quality loaded ammo taylored for each rifle. Of these, the easiest to shoot will be the Barrett 99 and Armalite AR50. The LAR is a great rifle and for a 36" barrel is amazingly compact, shorter then most conventional factory bolt rifles, but it is slow to use and kind of unstable for extreme range shooting. I have shot a 5.5" 3 shot group at 1000 yard with the one I used to own.

I now have an Armalite AR50 which will be rebarreled soon to my 510 Allen mag with a 34" Lilja SS barrel.

Of the factory single shot rifles I have shot, the Armalite is the most comfortable. Kind of ugly but hell, they all are to some degree.

The Serbu is a very light single shot, not terrible to shoot and generally pretty darn accurate and relatively low price, relatively!!!

It does have more recoil then all the others though.

If you want a 50 I would suggest you move on it soon. They WILL be outlawed someday and probably sooner then later. Also, if you get one, you will be very well served to load your own ammo. Your rifles performacne will be greatly improved!!

If you have any questions on the 50s drop me a line and I will give you all the information I have on them.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

I agree with fifftydriver,
the ar-50 is probably the best buy 50 out there. I hope to add one to my collection soon. If you have a little more cash, then take a look at the viper 50's, very good as well.

Hard to beat an Armilite for an easy shootin 50 but I sure wouldnt rule out a East Ridge(States Arms) for an econemy shooter,they can be found for $1500 or less used and will shoot with the best of them.
You may want to do a little checking around and find a fifty cal shoot,a lota fun and you'll learn alot as most guys are eger to help get someone started.
Be warned though its spendy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif
verminthumperboomer.JPG

States Arms

And also important to some of us, Armalite's site says the AR50 is available in a left hand model, at no price increase. The others look kind of uncomfortable to shoot left-handed.

I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything, but...
[ QUOTE ]
I now have an Armalite AR50 which will be rebarreled soon to my 510 Allen mag with a 34" Lilja SS barrel.

[/ QUOTE ]
Kirby, man. You gotta post a couple of pics! I've soooo wanted that gun for years, but i'd have to go through hell and high water to get one here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif plus i worked out it'd cost about $7 a shot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif .

IceSniper,

Their coming soon. The barrel is a new project in and of itself. Cosmetically really. Had Dan order in a new Huge flute cutter, 7/16" diameter. Tried to talk him into a 1/2" flute be he would not do that. His largest flute currently is 0.313" wide. This new one will be 0.438" wide so the flutes will look much better on a large diameter barrel.

Think I will teflon the barrel black and then 400 grit polish the barrel leaving the flutes black. We will see.

Will post pics when it arrives.

From my figured the 510 AM will have 45 gr more capacity then the 50 BMG. Like we needed that!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby Allen(50)

45 gr more than a 50bmg....i'm back from the chiropractor now.just reading that made my shoulder leave town.

pray tell what case would this be based off of?

Man, thats going to be a sweet rig /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

Why do i have a feeling you'll be raining 750gr A-maxs down on prairie dog town at 3000y? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif .

Dave,

Its off the BMG but improved in form. Basically all the same shoulder and body configurations as the other Allen Magnums. A bit more body taper though.

You take a case of that diameter and length and improve it and you get a dramatic increase in capacity. Think of it as a 22-250 compared to a 22-250 AI. Gain alot, only with the BMG your starting with 220 to 250 gr powder capacity depending on the bullet and powder.

Our goal is a 750 at just shy of 3000 fps. Better yet, we have been looking at 850 to 900 gr ULD RBBTs and hope to drive them to the same velocity that the standard BMG will drive a 750 gr pill. Even 1000 gr weights have been talked over.

Yes, recoil will be a bit stout!!! How stout, we will have to see. Terminal energy should be most impressive though!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Terminal energy should be most impressive though!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

[/ QUOTE ]

On which end? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

TERMINAL ENERGY ???? we'd could only shoot into the bottom half of our little mountains here in Pa. some might only be a couple hundred yards thick towards the top!

I believe JD Jones of SSK industries is doing something similar and calling it the 14.5mm JDJ. You might check out their site Here. Looks interesting to say the least! 1173 grain bullet at 26-2700fps!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.