.460 Rowland Reloading

I had a 460 on a 1911 back in the day as they say but I never could get it it to run good as it never feed good. I do reload but with almost 40+ years behind me I don't think that was the problem. Fast forward to today, I have ordered another 460 this time from Clark, again for a 1911, it has yet to come in. I have all the stuff to start reloading but I've been a little busy so I haven't gotten around to that yet.
As far as recoil goes, the prior pistol had a shove to it with very very little flip up. I like the heck out of it, but just like a rifle if after playing/working on it and I can't fix the hiccup down the road the barrel goes and new one takes it's place.

Many years I have been on an off on getting a 460.
It seems I don't spend enough time with what I already have..... to add more would distract me further.
** You may want to look at Berry's copper clad for a plinking round. For me hard cast seems to fade groups. [leads a bit] past 1000fps.

I put my 460 on a Kimber Aegis Elite. It came with a Trijicon 6" dot, and co-witnessed iron sights. The iron sights help a lot in finding the dot. If I were to buy a new pistol for a 460, I would definitely get one with co-witnessed sights. My Springfield TRP has them, and I'm sure there are many others. I got my doe in Sept last year, and kept hunting to keep my wife company. Later in the season, the Trijicon froze up on me, and locked on a fairly high setting. I wound up turning it off a litle before sunset. I didn't recover the bullet from the doe, as she was coming straight onto me, and it went thru to the stomach, and I wasn't going in there to find it. It's a 250 gr Speer deep curl, sized at .452". I had previously shot it into thick walled jugs of water. It penetrated 14", and came out looking like a 1.4" starfish, still weighing 250 grains.

The load I"m using for hunting is 9.5 gr Longshot, with a coal of 1.22". This gave me a 1.51" group at 25 yds, at 1177 fps, and a SD of 9.6 for a 5 shot group. Other loads that performed well with the Speer bullet were 9.3 gr Longshot, 9.5 gr CFE, and 11.0 gr of Blue Dot. All over 1125 fps. I also had good groups with 11.4 gr Blue Dot pushing a 250 gr Missouri Bullets hard lead. A 3 shot group was 0.59" at 1188 fps. I had trouble deciding which bullet to use for hunting, and I might have to switch to the Missouri bullet this year, if Speer doesn't get their head and butt wired together and start producing some bullets.

Recent Posts