460 wby

Calfarmer

Hey I'm trying to find some 300gr Barnes tsx load data for a 460 wby! I loaded some today with 120gr. Varget at a 3.660 oal and shot a few with no pressure signs at all but need to clean and get time for some paper shooting. Also only have a 1-4 power scope on it so loading for a big bore is it fine develope a load at 25 yards and act like how you would normally load a rifle at 100 or should I slap another scope on and do it at 100 yards?
Thanks for any help in advance!

I know you are Weatherby wise but I'd like a reiteration.

Did you say you loaded 120g of Varget with a Barnes TXS 300 #30615 at a COAL of 3.660?

Any chance you could give me the H2O?

Yes that's the correct bullet
141.1g of water is what I find in my book.
I went by some loads on reloadersnest and then the hornady book only shows 350gr bullet load and kinda went with what I thought was doable and settled on trying 118gr.'s of varget which was max for the 350 hornady bullet and didn't wNt to start much higher encase I had tight spots in the barrel for copper Bullets and shot 1 at 118 and absolutely no pressure signs so tried one at 119 and still no signs of pressure then loaded one at 120 and no pressure signs but could tell it was stiffer so I stopped till I could run a few threw the chrono and try some on some paper. But was leery on my oal cause I usually load my weatherbys to mag length cause of the freebore but I felt safer seating these deeper since they're such a short bullet and at mag length there wasn't much seated In the case, so I seated at the beginning of the last band on the bullet.
If you have a better thought on any of this let me know! First time trying to load for a big bore! The factory 450's kick my *** for just shooting for fun and want to shoot some pigs with it just because I think it would be cool! An if I can get these 300gr.'s pushing 3200fps they're pretty darn flat shooting till about 500 then they are bad! Haha

Hey I'm trying to find some 300gr Barnes tsx load data for a 460 wby! I loaded some today with 120gr. Varget at a 3.660 oal and shot a few with no pressure signs at all but need to clean and get time for some paper shooting. Also only have a 1-4 power scope on it so loading for a big bore is it fine develope a load at 25 yards and act like how you would normally load a rifle at 100 or should I slap another scope on and do it at 100 yards?
Thanks for any help in advance!

I have never loaded 300 grain bullets in a 460 WB and the lightest I have used is a 350 grain, and Varget is not listed as a preferred powder but I am sure it would be ok if loaded correctly.

The powder I recommend is H 4831 SC. and the big case can handle 128 grains with the 350.
114 grains of H 380 will get you 2800 ft/sec with the 350 grain bullets (The fastest load).

The 300grain bullets don't have very good ballistics but if that is what you want to shoot, the big Weatherby should push it somewhere between 2900 and 3000 ft/sec using H 380.

J E CUSTOM

What JE said...

However, you've tried it. It works.

My estimates are with 120g of Varget you are in the 3200fps range and right at a point where you are stressing the brass and rifle. You also should have 100% case fill.

If you are set on the 300, work backwards from 120 until you are not accurate anymore.

You "flat" window is about 300 yards with a 250 yard zero.

I am working on just what to do with my 460 barrel and 378/416/460 sized action.

They are just sitting there right not.

The action is currently a 338-378 Accumark with Accubrake. It may replace my German era action in my TRR clone. It may become a 460. It may do both. I have the tools to switch them when I want.

If I make up my 460 I can try your load with the Pressure Trace II

alright sounds good ill try the lower powder charges working down. id consider it at 100% but there is a little powder slop when you shake it so its not like a compressed load, primers are not even near flatting and pin strike looks good and safe, also bolt handle is smooth no tight bolt at all.
recoil is perfect! id say its same or maybe even less than my accumark in 338-378 with 106gr retumbo and 300 bergers but i think before i waste powder and bullets i need to swap out the low power scope for something i can see the taget at 100yds better. 4 power doest cut it for me while developing!

alright sounds good ill try the lower powder charges working down. id consider it at 100% but there is a little powder slop when you shake it so its not like a compressed load, primers are not even near flatting and pin strike looks good and safe, also bolt handle is smooth no tight bolt at all.
recoil is perfect! id say its same or maybe even less than my accumark in 338-378 with 106gr retumbo and 300 bergers but i think before i waste powder and bullets i need to swap out the low power scope for something i can see the taget at 100yds better. 4 power doest cut it for me while developing!
Do you have a break on yours?

yes it has the accubrake
well i shot it today for speed and 5 shots averaged 3158fps on the v3 also 5 shots and 1 ragged hole but at only 25 yards but thats what i could see best with the 4 power scope

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.