45acp Or 10mm

GUNLUVR

I AM LOOKING AT GETTING ANOTHER HANDGUN I AM DISAPOINTED IN THE 45 ACP I HAVE AND LOOKING AT THE 10 MM IS THERE ANY RECOMENDATIONS ON WICH TO CHOOSE FOR A BACK UP GUN LOOKING FOR A 1911 SET UP MAYBE A KIMBER. I JUST WANT SOMETHING FOR BACK UP WITH A PUNCH.:eek:

if you already have a 1911 and you want more power just get the 460 Rowland conversion kit and it'll be all the power you want in that 1911 frame , its only a small step behind the 45LC.

But if you want another gun the 10mm is definatly a step above the 45 ACP but the correct bullet will make a bigger differance.

I have a 460 Rowland built on a STI prefit combo and I have to say that it makes for one bad *** carry gun.
I also have a 400 Corbon conversion kit for my Glock 21 and it basicaly dulicates and exceeds the 10mm. Its kinda like a 357 Sig on steroids.

There is only one name to know when it comes to 10mm. Glock. A 29 for compact or a 20 for full size carry. Designed from the ground up to be a 10mm. It will need no break in, tune ups or tweeking to get or keep it reliable. Just load and shoot.

I don't blame you for finding the 45Auto lacking. It is. I find the 45 to be good for teaching new shooters and plinking paper. Very relaxing in a step up from the 22LR in recoil but the trajectory is the balistic eqivalant to a water balloon.

A good comprimize is good stout loads in a 40S&W. If you don't want to handload or mail order all your ammo the 40 makes a good package. I carry a Glock 23 every where. 155XTP's at 1266fps is pretty respectable. My Glock 20 10mm load is the 180XTP at 1250fps. I carry that one in the woods.

If you can handle the 10mm it is a HOSS for sure!! The 10mm is the ballistic equivalent to a 41 mag for all practical purposes so keep that in mind when you are thinking about the application being contemplated.

I think the 45 Super might just be your thing. I have and like my 10mm pistols
but the extra oomph of the 45 super makes it acceptable. The main reason
for accepatability is the ease of transition. all you have to do is change
recoil spring. It is not as powerful as the Rowland but you dont have
to get a barrel extension with compensators to use it.. That requirement
for Rowland removes all possibility for carry use.

I had a Kimber Stainless custom Target 2 1911, in 10mm. (1994 era target 2 came from the custom shop). I LOVED that gun! I just couldnt find ammo for it. (before I handloaded)I sold it to a family friend and wound up buying the Springfield XD in .40s&w, for my cary gun and woods back up. Ive NEVER been a fan of ''plastic pistols'', but the Glock and the XD were light and reputable, so I shot both, and didnt like the feel/fit of the Glock, where as the XD seemed to fit better. For my needs the .40 s&w in the XD was a perfect combo. My dad has the Kimber CDP2 in 45 and loves it. Its a shooter for sure! Ive owned a Kimber Eclipse in .45 and it was a good pistol, but not what I expected. Next 1911, Ill go with the Kimber Grand Raptor 2 in .45 . Theres just something about a 1911 that goes hand in hand with 45. cal.
IMO if its a 1911 you cant go wrong with Kimber and .45, if its a tupperware gun go with .40 s&w in XD or Glock wich ever fits your hand best, unless you handload. The 10mm performance is impressive. (10mm does wonders on a deer) But if you dont load, youll cry everytime you fork out the equivelant of half the national debt out of your wallet for a box of good 10mm ammo.......IF you can find some to buy. Just my 2 cents. Good luck

Check out this link for the WildWest Rowland .45
Real Guns <--- this is the link... Click on it

Apparently they do offer a version that does not use compensators.

But also pay particular attention to the velocities
of the 180 and 200gr 45 super bullets... The identical same
velocities as full power 10mm ammo for the same weight bullet.

The 45 super could be offering same performance ( weight of
bullet and velocity ) as the 10mm with considerably less
headaches in terms of component and ammo availability
as long as you are handloading. Note that the 45 super
requires the extra strong and thick cases sold by Starline.

Last edited:
I carry a glock model 29 10 mm as my conceled weapon. If you are looken for punch in a reasonable size package, that come stock with 10 rd mags then this is it. But there is some down side to the 10mm. The first being ammo, if you reload, then it is not to bad, but if you shoot factory ammo it can be a huge P.I.T.A( many times when u are in gun stores and u ask about 10 mm you will get a blank look) to find ammo.
I have been using winchester 175 silvertip ammo, and the last half dozen times I bought it(all at gun shows) they have been around 20 bucks for 20 rounds. Not to bad, but you have to look for it.
The second with factory ammo is alot of companys down load it to right at or a little above .40 s&w, which in my eyes is kinda pointless. Buffelo Bore has some full power loads for it but I have yet to see any of it local(shops, gun shows, etc).
From what i have read, the 10 mm with full power loads in the 1911 setup can really put a beating on the gun. Don't get me wrong, if i had the chance and the money i would love to have it in 10 mm. For the money i think glock is the way to go for the 10 mm.
I bought my glock used and over the last 3 or so years have put over 2500 rounds through it. Out of all of those i have had only 3 ftf with it(all with the same crappy ammo). My gun was thought to have 3 or 4 thousand rounds through it when i bought it.
the only problem i have had was a broken dissassembly spring(it still fired but i couldn't figure out why it felt "sloppy" during recoil until i dropped the mag and metal pieces fell out). the part was like 5 or 10 bucks and it took me all of 5 minutes to replace.
All in all I love the 10, but it is not a widely common round, good ammo can be hard to find. If you reload, it is not that big of a deal, but if you don't it is something you need to consider when contemplate'n a 10 mm. i hope this helps you, and if i ran on to long i do appoligize.

will

I carry a kimber custom II 45 ACP . I've owmed one 9mm glock and one 40 beretta . A friend and I went to do some plinking once at ole coke cans I couldn't hit the cans like (he was he was shooting a 9mm beretta) I was shooting the plastic glock. I thought maybe it's me and he can shoot better so i asked him to let me shoot his beretta and just about every time i pulled the trigger I hit the can . to make a long story short I SOLD the glock . I now have the kimer 45 ACP and I wouldn't say that the recoil is mild nor would i think that it didn't have enough punch . about to weeks ago I sat up a target at 50 YRDS and had to shots within 1 inch . And I don't clame to be a pistol shooter . I've only shot about 15 rounds out of this pistol .

kimber= point it at it and it will hit it :)

If I was going to get a 10mm it would be a 1911 Delta Elite they look awesome !

just my opinion

Bigbuck

I just noticed my 10mm loads specs are off. My woods load is 180 XTP's at 1325 fps. 9.4 grains of Longshot gets me there. Next choice for woods carry is a 40S&W with similarly loaded 155 XTP's. The 45 is my last choice. Fun to shoot yes, potent for critters, not really.

Check this out about 45 Super and 460 Rowland

Click on the link below - Yea, where is says Real Guns. That is the link

Real Guns

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.