175 gr Win silvertips for 10mm glock

milkie62

Will be going into grizzly country for elk and was wondering what is the opinion of the 175 gr win silvertip for the Glock 20 10mm for bear defense. Do not reload for it so would need a factory round.

morning, cast bullets do out perform jacketed bullets in certain
hunting situations specially when defense of self with very
large dangerous game!! justme gbot tum

I'll agree with those on the hardcast bullets, way better for Bear protection as you want deep penetration through heavy bone and muscle, especially on a grizzly. BuffaloBore makes a 220 grain hardcast flat nose, HSM makes a 200 grain one.
On another note, I'd recommend a Kenai Chest Holster from Gunfightersinc.com. A great way to carry a gun that you can get it it RIGHT NOW. I got one for my Ruger Alaskan and love it, as it rides up front and snug to the chest where its easily accessible.

I would "never", I hope that I did not understate that, "never" use an expanding design bullet at handgun velocities on large, dangerous game! There are many years of evidence to support that recommendation! Buffalo Bore makes a very good, hard cast, fairly wide metplat bullet for the 10MM!

Hubby45 "nailed-it" with the cross-chest carry style holster! My preferred holster, especially for larger, heavier handguns..... for everything "but" concealed carry! memtb

Last edited:
1. Cast lead

2. Lehigh penetrators

3. FMJ

Underwood ammo has what you need.

Hardcast is the best option and of the hardcast available Double Tap 200 gr WFNGC is the superior bullet period when you look into the desirable properties and how a hardcast bullet is designed to perform. They will not hit box flap velocities but I will take a little less speed for a bullet that feeds 100% in a stock glock and is a superior designed bullet. Beartooth bullet is the basis for double tap designed bullet.

I'd go with something like the Lehigh penetrator. The 10mm really isn't a very powerful chambering, so it needs all the help you can give it. A good hardcast bullet around 200gr would be my second choice.

Of all bullets silvertips would be the last choice for me on a charging Grizzly! They are very soft and could prove catastrophic in your application. I shot a raccoon 3 times with factory 9mm silvertips and none of them exited! I second the heavy hard cast or some of the elephant killers that the others mentioned.

This would be my medicine using a 10 mm along with a chest holster made by Man Gear in Wasilla AK . Www.mangearalaska.com. and stay away from leather because of the damp and rainy weather, just my opinion, Good Luck!

Attachments

• IMG_20190514_133927138.jpg
    IMG_20190514_133927138.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 322
Coming from a handgun competition background, I am not saying one way or another because I have ZERO firsthand experience with this setup. But I do know that all the GLOCK shooter i personally know absolutely will not shoot lead because of the (polygon?) rifling in glock barrels. Maybe this is just because of poor accuracy, but from what I understood it really leads the barrel bad... I'm guessing that you'd still be fine with the small amount you're shooting and most likely close distances. If I really felt my life could be in danger I'd be shooting a few hundred to ensure 100% reliability. So this is something to consider.

Coming from a handgun competition background, I am not saying one way or another because I have ZERO firsthand experience with this setup. But I do know that all the GLOCK shooter i personally know absolutely will not shoot lead because of the (polygon?) rifling in glock barrels. Maybe this is just because of poor accuracy, but from what I understood it really leads the barrel bad... I'm guessing that you'd still be fine with the small amount you're shooting and most likely close distances. If I really felt my life could be in danger I'd be shooting a few hundred to ensure 100% reliability. So this is something to consider.

If you shoot a Hard Cast load in a Glock, just make sure it has a gas check, or that it's a hard-enough alloy of lead that it won't smear and lead up the barrel.

The other factory load that I've found to be close to original 10mm specs is the Sig 180gr FMJ load. That's what I personally carry, but would happily interchange it with anything from Underwood or Buffalo Bore.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.