45 acp

Elk868

hello
i m Pretty new on handgun reloading so i wanted to ask you all what you think About following load :
45 acp
barnes tac xp 185 gr
hodgon cfe 8.1 gr
primer : federal Gold medal large pistol
- want to use it in my glock 21
thank you very much

What are you trying to accomplish with this load? I'm guessing defense load. It looks like max load, and highest velocity hodgdon lists for a 185. You'll want to work up to that slowly, as the Barnes usually create more pressure sooner. I run starline nickel brass, 200gr Speer gold dot, and a Max charge of VV N105. It's good for around 1150fps, and a decent amount of recoil in my shield.

Yes it's thinked as load for defence. And you are right , it's max load.
And for sure I start lower. I have no experience with cfe and would like to know this might work or not. I reload since around twenty years but never thinked bout load handgun ammo.but now I think it's time for- so I'm happy about each suggestions . Here handgun hunting is illegal so shooting handgun was always something I just did beside . But now I want take closer look at.

Thank you very much

Why do you want to beat your pistol up? Max loads really don't help at 15 feet.
I carry a nice 230Gr. JHP at 920 FPS. Practice trumps power! Run your plates
practice mag changes...Shoot it!! Here's a Cabot S-103 I have nice pistol.
Cabot 003.JPG

I shoot 9.6g of AA#5 with the 185g Nosler HP, start lower and work up in your pistol, very very accurate in a couple of 45's that I have. Kahr cw 45's accuracy is unbelievable with 9.1g of Five with 185g Noslers

tested 45 acp with Sierra 8805 , 230 grain jhp and 6 gr hodgon cfe in my glock 21
really nice and soft recoil . accuracy was good . Speed was 750 fps col 1.175 spread was 19,6ps
think i can go upward bit with load and see how it effects accuracy, more Posts soon :
best regards
And wish you all a happy new year
elk868

Last edited:
load to a longer COAL..its a 45acp not a 9mm
for self defense look at speer gold dot 200 and 230, Hornady xtp's
900 fps or so with 230, up to 1000 with 200, but practice at 900.
oh this is in a real 45acp 1911....
plastic and small guns will have an issue with recoil.
a hot load that you cannot hit with is pretty useless

I run 7 grs Unique with 200 gr Hornaday XTP from a 5" full size 1911. Runs right at 1000 fps and is VERY ACCURATE and VERY LEATHEL. I have shot a few deer between 25 and 50 yards with this load. Back in my younger and much more poorer days when if I did not grow, catch or shoot it my wife and I did not eat it I killed quite a good number deer with the 45 ACP. I was living in eastern NC and there was plenty of game. I did some work for an old fellow and he gave me an old Colt 1911A1 that was in RUFF condition. It was one he brought back from WWII. Said that he took it off of a dead Japanese that probably got it off a dead American. You could see pitting on one side that looked most likely was from blood splatter. In the tropics it don't take long for things to rust and blood on things rust quicker. This old pistol had corrosive primed ammo shot in it and had not been cleaned and the bore looked like a 100 year old cabin chimney. I cleaned up the rust and got it to function well and "acquired" and new barrel and spring from a fellow that was in the National Guard. Another acquaintance had loading equipment and a RCBS 200 gr SWC bullet mold. I was given wheel weights by the local tire shop and cast my bullets. I loaded 7 grs Unique with the cast SWC and it shot pretty accurate in that old pistol. I was so poor that I could not afford many slug or buckshot shells for my shotgun nor ammo for an old Marlin 30-30 Win. rifle that my Dad gave me. I could afford to shoot a good number of rounds of handloaded 45 ACP. At the time it was not legal to deer hunt with a pistol in NC but a man has to do what he has to do to feed his family. I would hide that old pistol under my clothing and carry my shotgun down into the swamps where shots were close and I would set up an ambush on known trails. I could shoot a deer through the lungs and it would make a 45 cal hole going in and coming out and they did not go very far if they did not drop at the shot. That 45 cal slug alone makes a pretty good hole and lets the air out of things quickly. A few years later and with a new job finances got MUCH better and like a fool I decided to trade that old pistol off for a Ruger 44 mag that I thought I just had to have. Sure wish that I had that old Colt today.

thank you all for help and informations .it s just sometimes not easy over here .last time my local gun shop owner informed me it seems we not will get hodgon powder imported . no clue it s a fact or just rumors .also other powders . just some IMR will be available and and ther only some selected ones . and if i get powder i not know when i get it again . but soon as Shooting range is open again i will post results
best regards
elk868
and happy new year

Hello
Did further tests- 230gr Sierra 8805-
6,3 gr hodgon Cfe pistol- col 1,215
Speed 788 FPS
Here some results for what I can do Shootings at 11yards - i will have to adjust sights -all shots are left
5670CD67-C326-4041-9D0B-36C3F448C24A.jpeg

Before moving your sights give this a try. You may not be putting enough finger on the trigger thus causing you to push the pistol to the left if you are right handed. if left handed you may have too much finger on the trigger causing you to pull the pistol to the left. The center of the trigger needs to be in the center of the pad of the finger between the tip and first joint with a straight reward squeeze. If you know when the pistol is going to fire you are jerking the trigger. Let it be a surprise as to when it goes off.

are you right handed ?
very common for a right handed person to PUSH
the pistol left.
practice practice practice
velocity is too slow bump up that load

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.