.45 ACP Powder

Which Powder for .45 ACP

• Total voters
I am currently using Clays Universal with W-W 230 gr FMJ in my Kimber Tactical Pro II but I think I am going to give W231 a try.

JD338

Last edited:
I am currently using Clays Universal with W-W 230 gr FMJ in my Kimber Tactical Pro II but I think I am going to give W231 a try.

JD338

I guess I'm the oddball in the group. I use Accurate Arms #5. Mainly because for 380, 9mm, 40, 45acp, 38, mild 357, 45 colt I can use one powder. With it and Win 296 I can load pretty much anything handgun related. I'm sure there's a few other powders out there that are as versatile but I settled on AA#5.

I use almost nothing but AA#5 and #7 in all my 45 caliber rounds. I also use AA#9 in my 44 mags and some 45LC loads. Burns very clean unlike some others mentioned, and shot to shot seems very consistent. Meters extremely well (+/- one tenth of a grain or better).
glt

I actually run Enforcer with my 230 gr FMJ/HP it used to be a listed load by Ramshot, the start load was giving me 950 fps avg with a 230 from a 1911 GM.

When I run out of that particular lot, I have some longshot to work with.

I have used HP38 and liked it as well as BlueDot.

I use 231 in 45acp, 45colt. works well, accurate enough for my purposes and meters very well. I like being able to just go through a whole 100rd tray with the meter and not really have to check the throw because it meters so well.

AA#5 and Unique is all I've used........but with the powder shortage I ended up with 8lbs of WSF and 5lbs of Power Pistol, so it looks like I'll be using those for awhile.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.