45-70, 45-90, or 450 Marlin?

Maybe I got some bad information! I haven't done it myself, so of course take what I say with a grain of salt. But, if you reload or want to start, I would definitely go that route.

Yeah taking it apart ain't too bad after you do it once. There's some good videos on YouTube that show some of the tricks to help.
I hand load almost everything or I would have never bought 45 90 50 110 etc. Just too hard to get loaded ammo for. I like to experiment. That is why I have shot 410 rounds out of the 444, made shot loads for the 45 70, 45 90, shot 45 70 out of the 45 110, round ball loads out of 308 and 375 H&H and all sorts of other stuff. What I have often found out is a lot of guys are full of crap or just passing on what they read some place else. All kinds of stuff that many say doesn't work actually works just fine one you try it and fine tune what you are doing. Got so I don't believe much of what I read on forums unless I am positive the guy posting really has tried it.

I may have to look into creating a shot load for my 45-90. That sounds fun
When you are making shot loads do not use a plastic shot collar. You will get tighter patterns if u use a felt over powder wad and a eight inch card wad over the shot. If u use a shot collar like modern shotshells it gets spun by the rifling and thus spins the shot. No plastic shot collar most of the shot comes straight out and doesn't get spun. They work great to about 15 yards for small game and grouse or snakes.

Gives me confidence on the 45-70 chambering on my custom 1877 Sharps project yet to be finished. It's all hogged out from 4340 steel, a McMillan barrel, side lock and all else is hand made. Just got access to an old Bridgeport mill to finally finish it. Sexiest Sharp's model ever made.

Gives me confidence on the 45-70 chambering on my custom 1877 Sharps project yet to be finished. It's all hogged out from 4340 steel, a McMillan barrel, side lock and all else is hand made. Just got access to an old Bridgeport mill to finally finish it. Sexiest Sharp's model ever made.

That sounds awesome. Are you doing all the work?

That sounds awesome. Are you doing all the work?
Yep. Milling the receiver and all the fixtures I made turned out to be a project. Even some wire EDM work for the falling block area. I'll post some pictures later. It's all heat treated so it can easily take max loads. I even have "pound dies" to swage paper patched 531 grain custom slugs for it. Moving around the city excluded keeping my original mill. Now I ran into one for free!

Hey all,

If a guy wants to get a lever gun in either a 45-70, 450 Marlin, or 45-90 then what are some of the benefits to each one?

I know of a few:

45-70 - plenty of loaded ammo available but it will be lower pressure. Can be handloaded to give more oomph

450 Marlin - loaded ammo to higher pressure, but the cases are probably more expensive since they're belted and doesn't seem to be as popular as the 45-70

45-90 - alot more oomph and range, if loaded with black powder. Smokeless powder supposedly will limit it's performance to 45-70 ballistics. Loaded ammo is lacking in availability and performance

What are the performance characteristics like for each in various length barrels? I'd be looking at a 22" or 24", but an 18" or 20" would be fine if the ballistics are similar to the former. What's the general range people can cleanly take elk/moose/bison when handloading?

I found a beautiful Win 1886 deluxe case hardened 45-90 that I'd love to have...
The 450 Marlin was created with a belt to keep it from loading into 45/70's particularly trap doors. The majority of the ammunition is seen on the shelf for 45/70 Can safely be fired in a trap door rifle. I'm mostly shoot Hornady 325 grain flex tips@2300fps Which make this truly a 300 yd gun. I use a cabela's caliber matched scope. Using this scope my 100 yd hits are the same as my 200 yd hits, I have not shot the 300 yd with this combination yet, But the energy is there to 300 yd. If you really want to go crazy you can get a ruger number one And load to just about 458 Winchester magnum loads

My 45-70 Browning Hi Wall give me 1750fps on 400g bullets but my big boy is a Remington 700 with a 416/300RUM loaded with 110g H1000 pushing a 400g bullet 2585fps. My only really great lever gun is a 1904 vintage '92 Winchester rifle in 44 W.C.F. 200g bullet at 2010fps: Its a pig killer!

My 45-70 Browning Hi Wall give me 1750fps on 400g bullets but my big boy is a Remington 700 with a 416/300RUM loaded with 110g H1000 pushing a 400g bullet 2585fps. My only really great lever gun is a 1904 vintage '92 Winchester rifle in 44 W.C.F. 200g bullet at 2010fps: Its a pig killer!
i load a hot load of 4064, 400 gr speer soft pt, in my browning for about 2300. i had to have the throat lengthened to allow seating to the 2nd crimp groove. its a hammer! dont try this in your marlin! i am interested in talking to you about your 416/300 RUM. I ASSUME , this is the same as my 416/375 RUM. please call me 425 422 0104, or text. thanks, Allan

i load a hot load of 4064, 400 gr speer soft pt, in my browning for about 2300. i had to have the throat lengthened to allow seating to the 2nd crimp groove. its a hammer! dont try this in your marlin! i am interested in talking to you about your 416/300 RUM. I ASSUME , this is the same as my 416/375 RUM. please call me 425 422 0104, or text. thanks, Allan
It should be the same. I just start with 300RUM brass and open it up. Have the 338 EDGE, 358/300 RUM, 375/300 RUM and the 416/300 RUM. The EDGE is great, the 358: not enough bullets to select from for that but the 375 is a GREAT one. The 416/300 RUM was just for fun, likely more speed with a slightly faster powder, maybe 4831.

Hey all,

If a guy wants to get a lever gun in either a 45-70, 450 Marlin, or 45-90 then what are some of the benefits to each one?

I know of a few:

45-70 - plenty of loaded ammo available but it will be lower pressure. Can be handloaded to give more oomph

450 Marlin - loaded ammo to higher pressure, but the cases are probably more expensive since they're belted and doesn't seem to be as popular as the 45-70

45-90 - alot more oomph and range, if loaded with black powder. Smokeless powder supposedly will limit it's performance to 45-70 ballistics. Loaded ammo is lacking in availability and performance

What are the performance characteristics like for each in various length barrels? I'd be looking at a 22" or 24", but an 18" or 20" would be fine if the ballistics are similar to the former. What's the general range people can cleanly take elk/moose/bison when handloading?

I found a beautiful Win 1886 deluxe case hardened 45-90 that I'd love to have...
i would buy it, even if there is no ballistic advantage.
It should be the same. I just start with 300RUM brass and open it up. Have the 338 EDGE, 358/300 RUM, 375/300 RUM and the 416/300 RUM. The EDGE is great, the 358: not enough bullets to select from for that but the 375 is a GREAT one. The 416/300 RUM was just for fun, likely more speed with a slightly faster powder, maybe 4831.
my interest here is some info on reloading the 416 rum. there is no published data. 416 rem is a good place to start, but i hoped avoid wasting components. i have one question, why start with 300 rum, thats a long ways to neck up. thins neck a lot. i cant imagine the shorter neck gives enough extra space to matter.

i would buy it, even if there is no ballistic advantage.

my interest here is some info on reloading the 416 rum. there is no published data. 416 rem is a good place to start, but i hoped avoid wasting components. i have one question, why start with 300 rum, thats a long ways to neck up. thins neck a lot. i cant imagine the shorter neck gives enough extra space to matter.

Sure! 375 RUM brass would be great but I only had 300 RUM brass. It does fine all the way up to 416. I just started with H1000 and started moving the load up 110g about fills the case as I recall. I don't shoot it much; as I said, just for fun. I have done the same with the EDGE, started using US 869 powder to have a second choice for my EDGE: a case full is about right. I just watch for flat primers and stay away from fast powders..

Sure! 375 RUM brass would be great but I only had 300 RUM brass. It does fine all the way up to 416. I just started with H1000 and started moving the load up 110g about fills the case as I recall. I don't shoot it much; as I said, just for fun. I have done the same with the EDGE, started using US 869 powder to have a second choice for my EDGE: a case full is about right. I just watch for flat primers and stay away from fast powders..
thanks

Recent Posts