.41 Rem Mag revolvers for hunting Elk.

PBR driver

After a long time away I began playing with my two .41 Mags today.
The first one is a S&W M657 performance center 6 1/2" w/ a 4X Leupold shooting a 265gr. LBTL LWNGC over 20.8grs. of H110.
This load is smooth to shoot and accurate.
I have not shot them over my chronograph but my est velocity is about 1320 fps.
My other .41 is a Taurus total titanium 6 1/2" that is so light and accurate it is a joy to pack here in Western Wyoming.
My two favorite loads for this are as follows,
250gr, LBT WNFPGC over 18.5gr. of H110 gives me around 1200 fps. Then my other load is a 215 SWC over 17.3grs of 2400 which gives me right at 1250 fps.
The first two loads are what I plan to hunt with this year mainly with the 265 gr load should be plenty of punch from 100 yards and closer.
The Taurus has been my back up gun for several years and is accurate to shoot to 75 yards (with my eyes) with the 250gr.
Easier to shoot than my .44's with as much punch and flatter trajectory, what's not to love!gun)

Nice info on the 41. I've got a 44 srh and sometimes load 200's with herco or true blue as target rounds at 1200 fps. I've been eyeing the ruger single actions in 41mag, but I want to use the cast pills(Lyman 288gr.) I make for my 405 if I ever get a 41, and the ruger is to short-throated to take the 288 grain bullet's nose.

Nice info on the 41. I've got a 44 srh and sometimes load 200's with herco or true blue as target rounds at 1200 fps. I've been eyeing the ruger single actions in 41mag, but I want to use tsshe cast pills(Lyman 288gr.) I make for my 405 if I ever get a 41, and the ruger is to short-throated to take the 288 grain bullet's nose.

You may want to measure the cylinder of the Ruger BH to see if it is long enough for the 288gr bullet.
I have one in the shop I can measure but not sure it is long enough.
The .41 with heavy cast bullts is a joy to shoot fr me at least.
There is a 300gr. cast but I do not own anything that will except it yet unless I get a contender bbl.
.44 or .41 it's all good. There is no critter that can tell the difference when shot placement is right. Critters do not read ballistic charts!
Have fun and good luck on your shooting and hunting!gun)

Yep, the cylinder throat is the one I'm griping about, not the forcing cone on the barrel. It might work for a swc, but this is an old school round-nose and there's a lot of it. I've gotta look at other makes I guess. Those spec's PBR mentioned are great for deer and pop cans and stuff like that where you don't need overkill. A simple large cal. hole will do.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.