Big Bore Revolvers Can Be Very Effective

jwp475

The Moose on the left was taken by me with the 475 Linebaugh revolver. The Bear on the left came in while cleaning the Moose and my partner shot him first with a 388 win mag and he went down and imediately got up and I shot him with the 475 revolver and it simply flattened him and that was that

00000009.jpg

This was in 88 and that is the very first year that the 475 was available and the very frist is 475 built by Bowen. The load was a LBT LFN made from straight wheel wieght that wieghed as cast 390 grains. The load consisted of Winchester 45/70 brass cut down to 1.4" and loaded with 295 and ignited by Federal Mag pistol primer for about 1350 FPS.
The Moose I shot in the shoulder at about 40 yards and that was all that it took.
The Bear came in on us as I was chopping the antlers out of the skull. My partner shot him first with a 338 Win, and the bear went down and immediately got back up. The Bear was angeling away and I shot him at the back of the rib cage on line for the off shoulder and all 4 legs went straight out spread eagle style and that was that.

The 475 impressed the hell out of me that day and still does.

I've got a Freedom Arms 475. I love that gun, and there's a lot to be said about those slow heavy bullets. I've shot 1 bear , 1 elk,and numerous deer, and they all were dead in there tracks. Handgun hunting is my passion.

I've got a 475 Linebaugh that John built for me on the Ruger frame , I'm not a big fan of revolvers at all but I love that thing , I shoot way more 480 Ruger ammo out of it than the full house Linebaugh stuff. I did shoot a big hog (300lb range) with it at around 25yds and it knocked him down very hard , shooting a 400gr Hornady XTP at close to 1400fps.
I have some wart loads with the 325gr XTP at almost 1600fps , i can't wat to shoot somthing with that.
The recoil is stout but i find it easier to control than the 454 Cassule

James the 325grain bullet will not penetrate well if you need penetration. I tested them in the Hornady factory loaded form and they pentrated about the same as a +P 230 grain 45 ACP. Not what I expected at all. I didn't expect them to penetrate with a flat point hard cast, but I expected better than that.

yea with our little deer down here that about all I need , maybe for a 2 legged coyote that gets to close to the family

I am looking forward to busting something with my 454 Casull in a 12" Encore. Not sure what to shoot through it. I have some Hornady 240's and some off brand stuff I bought from Cabellas in a 300 gr version. Man Those 300's kick like a mule! Reckon 100yds is too far for this setup I like the 375 but didnt know of it until after I bought the 454...Jim

The 360 grain WLFN laoded by Buffalo Bore is a great perfomer. It is loaded to 1400 FPS out of a 6" revolver, this is not max speed but more than enough for anything in North America

I've got a encore 15" in a 45/70 gov. Can't wait to get an animal with it. I love the gun and shoot it well, but the recoil is more than rediculous. Definatley not for everyone.

I totally agree that Big Bore Revolvers are impressive. below are two accounts of big bores in action.

A few months back My land Lord and I were out after a cougar that had been taking live stock in the area. I was packing my Tauras Raging Bull in 454 loaded with some 240 grain hollow points that I was testing. To make a long story short we came upon the cat. It was a 50-60 yard shot, down hill and running away. I caught him in the back, left of the spin, just rear of the rib cage. The hit took the cat down like I dropped a truck on it. The bullet came out the front of the chest just below the neck and left an exit wound nearly big enough to put my fist in. My favorate load is a 300 grain Horaday XTP Magnum Hollow point pushed by 30 grains of H110.

I was out with my hunting buddy Jon this dear season. He was packing his Custom Shop Smith in 500 S&W loaded with a 500 grain bullet. I watched as he took a buck at 25 or so yards. The bullet caught him just behind the left shoulder and spun it around almost 360 degrees. The bullet took the right leg off at the shoulder. It was real messy.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.