44 Rem Mag With 225gr Hornady FTX For Hunting?

LeddSlinger

I recently bought a Taurus Raging Bull 44 mag with the 8 3/4" barrel. Will mostly be used for bear defense in the mountains, but thought I might do some close range river bottom whitetail doe hunting with it as well.

On a whim, I picked up some of the Hornady 225gr FTX bullets to load. Of course they are designed for lever rifles with tube magazines, but they have a higher BC than most handgun bullets and have controlled expansion as well. So I expect they will work well on large game up to 75 +/- yards with an accurate load. However, nobody I know has ever used that bullet in anything, let alone a handgun.

Has anyone here ever hunted with them from a 44 mag hand gun? How did they perform for accuracy and terminally on game? Thanks fellas ;)

I picked some of those up for my Ruger SBH Hunter. I have yet to shoot them, but O did shoot some out of a froends SBH and O liked them. from what I understand from him that uses them really likes them. They are fast and accurate.
This handgun is my main hunting handgun and I see no reason you couldn't take a doe out to 125 yards with them if you feel good at that range and wait for the right shot. They are made to expand at slower fps. They are probable good past 125 but that is just my comfort range with my SBH Hunter. I know they take out Jackrabbits with ease at approx. 100 yards. LOL
Rupe

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.