406 LRSS Wyoming Pics

406precision

Just got back from Gillette Wyoming on Monday after putting on a long range shooting school hosted by another member of lrh Outlaw6.0 aka Tyler.

Tyler proved to be a heck of a host and the family ranch where the shooting school was h0sted was beautiful country. I would also like to say that the group of shooters Tyler had put together for the class all turned out to be great guys and good shooters as well. In the class we had from experienced down to beginning shooters and I think everyone would agree that other than the heat:) the class turned out great.

Anyways I'll let Tyler fill you in on the class particulars etc... but here are a few teaser pics. A big thanks to Jason Rigby from Snowy Mountain Rifles for making the trip down with us and doing a section on rifle maintenance as well as brining some toys down for everyone to play with.

Jordan@406

Attachments

• DSC03779.jpg
    DSC03779.jpg
    160.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC03711.jpg
    DSC03711.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 71
  • DSC03767.jpg
    DSC03767.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC03769.jpg
    DSC03769.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC03776.jpg
    DSC03776.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 74
Thanks is in order to the 406/Snowy Mtn team. A down to earth helpful group of guys sharing their passion of long range shooting.

Jordan mentioned letting me fill in the details; the reason for that is Len has allowed me to write an article/review of the 406 LRSS for your enjoyment.

Stay tuned folks,

t

Had a great time with Outlaw and the 406 precision team. Just good down to earth guys willing to help teach others the basics of long range shooting. A big thanks to Outlaw for the use of his family ranch. Great place. We shot to 1150 yards or so with no problem. Help teach you about what wind does at that distance. Was a little warm, but could of been worse! It is Aug. after all. Thanks guys!!! I had a blast. Bruce

I would love to have a littel info on a longrange shooting school in wyoming . If your going to have this school again could you pm me more info about it and mabey a contact number .thanks.

Riley,

We currently have some classes booked for 2015, but nothing in Wyoming as of yet.
We will however travel to put on a class if you know someone that is willing to host the class and can get enough participants (we usually require a min of 5) we will load up our toys and come to your location to put the school on.

Heck we are headed over to Illinois this fall for a class no where we wont travel to burn gunpowder and meet good folks.

Jordan@406

That would be great, the drive to the Gillette area would be much more manageable than the drive to Phillipsburg. Please keep me updated if this shoot happens.

That would be great, the drive to the Gillette area would be much more manageable than the drive to Phillipsburg. Please keep me updated if this shoot happens.

Which class would you prefer? At least one of the shooters from our Gillette class is interested in a second.

t

Well what i struggle with is making first round hits, i usually miss the wind call. I dont have any trouble shooting 1/2-3/4 MOA groups at distance one i get the correction. So whichever course would help with making first round hits at <1000 yards would be my preferred one. I think the ELR course would make first round hits seem easier at 1000 or less. It doesnt make much of a difference to me, i wont be to picky. :)

Wind calls and 1st round hits at 1000+ are a very tricky proposition. The only thing we have found super effective for this is what we call the RDR department (rounds down range).

In a basic and intermediate class it is very hard to cover more than basic to intermediate wind reading skills and techniques do to the time constraint and the experience of the shooters.

This is where the elr classes come in handy it allows us to brush up on the basics and then spend more time putting lead down range and working on advanced techniques.

I have had several messages and email about 2015 dates they are now under review, but here are a few of the things we have planned so far.

So far we have three Royal tine classes planned for 2015

1: A basic and intermediate class: This class is aimed at the new and inexperienced shooters who want to get into long range shooting and learn solid fundamentals that they can then go on to use and progress in the field. This is really where the seeds are planted we really encourage students to bring their own equipment and learn what they are capable of in the field.

2: A dedicated elr class where students will be introduced to advanced techniques such as high angle shooting...longer distances beyond 1000 yards and wind calling techniques to help put effective hits on vital zone targets at extended distances. This class is aimed at the shooter that has his equipment pretty much dialed in, but needs assistance and opportunity to really push it to the limit. For the 2015 class we have some full size reactive animal targets in the works that will allow for some very realistic target engagement and give instant feed back to the students if it was a hit or a miss as well as the opportunity to push their out to 3000 yards if one so chooses.

3. A class specific for hunting guides and or outfitters who wish to understand and learn more about the sport of long range shooting and hunting in order to widen their client base and understand the needs of such hunters.
This class will be designed to give the guide and outfitter the tools to not only filter through the bs some clients use but to understand the abilities of the newer equipment and techniques for effectively harvesting game at distances beyond 200-300 yards.

Long range hunting has brought a number of advantages and challenges to outfitters. Those who understand the sport and the equipment are much more agreeable to the use of long range shooting as a viable hunting technique.

Along with the 3 royal tines classes we have been discussing a class in the billings Montana area and a possible two day class combined with a praire dog hunt in eastern MT. This of course in addition to the private classes that we offer on our home range in South West Montana where we can tailor a class specific to the shooter and or shooters needs.

Jordan@406

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.