375 rum custom build options/ideas??

The 375/338 LM Imp pushing a 350 CEB @ 2900 fps would be fairly impressive and will hang right there with an EDGE or 338 LM Imp pushing a 300 OTM at the same speed. Depending on elevation that gets you to 1100 to 1500 yds down range with 1800 fps of expansion velocity. But the 375 RUM at 200 fps slower is obviously going to be 200 fps slower and 200 yds shorter range. Shooting TSX's is going to slow it down more.

If I wanted an ELR 375, it would be a CheyTac version. The 375 RUM is an awesome short to mid range killer, and the only reason I would get one would be for Africa or Alaska.

I am assuming you have never killed much with a 375? velocity, energy etc have nothing to do with killing power. the sheer Diameter of the 375 in itself is a whole new class of killing. Maybe HarperC will chime in. I recoveres a 270 TSX from the hill side once and the mushroom measured .980 ... 1" hole is hard to argue with. paper numbers and real world results are 2 different things

What velocity do they expand down to?

I am assuming you have never killed much with a 375? velocity, energy etc have nothing to do with killing power. the sheer Diameter of the 375 in itself is a whole new class of killing. Maybe HarperC will chime in. I recoveres a 270 TSX from the hill side once and the mushroom measured .980 ... 1" hole is hard to argue with. paper numbers and real world results are 2 different things

See Mike assumptions are dangerous!! I've gone up to the big 458's think that big bore diameter kills consistently across the board. I've dug piles of 1" diameter slugs out of the dirt and pine trees even elk only to find that did not kill like lightning at range or on some game.

Lets romp on a 350 gr bullet from a big 458, I've absolutely violently crushed elk at hundreds of yards but I've watch better than a dozen deer take a hit like a rock stars and run and run a heck of a long ways, the last animal I killed with it was a doe mule deer, shot her facing me under a 100 yards but she did not have the mass to open the bullet and my buddy shot her up the spine just before she cleared the next ridge. Push the ranges on it and you start just knocking holes through stuff, ya it kills them it's not the mine blowing smack down that was going on when the bullet opened!
The 375 Cheytac with solids will do quite a number on an elk at closer range and the bullet tumbles but push it out and the bullet does not tumble and they run, I know more than one guy who went back to the 338's from the 375 after a while of hunting. I also have a little lathe project to do that involves making 375 cal TSX open better on elk for my uncle's 375 H&H because he's not happy with how far elk shot behind the shoulder are running, through the shoulders brown is down but you don't always do that when their running through the timber.

It's not just on paper Mike, I think the CEB's bring something to the table because they will open at longer ranges or if Kirby can get tips in the 350 SMK but if the shear diameter of the 375 was all that is needed then everyone and their dog would not be trying to make a better long range bullet for them!

You are the first person I have ever run across that thought the difference between 375 and 338 wasn't astounding. I kill a few animals each year and I have seen a very big difference. . Oh well. In my experience there is an absolute benefit.

You are the first person I have ever run across that thought the difference between 375 and 338 wasn't astounding. I kill a few animals each year and I have seen a very big difference. . Oh well. In my experience there is an absolute benefit.

Inside it's range it is astounding, I've dug out 458 300 gr soft hollow points from elk that are the size of a silver dollar and it looks like you literally lift the elk of the ground and slam them down but that same rifle is not nearly as impressive outside it ideal range once you start just knocking holes through them. That rifle was an absolute show stopper but my 338 makes it look lame out past about 800 yards.

What would your 375 bring at 1500 yards that would benefit me over a 338, I've absolutely tried to get an advantage with the 375 but just having a bigger diameter bullet don't cut it. Wind is the major fight at ELR and it's one thing I would really need to see a benefit in to step up to the 375 in a RUM class case for ELR shooting! I can almost get there with a Lapua case but even then it's a very small advantage and only with $2 a pop bullets.

375 tejas, 330 ceb .850 bc long range performance is awe inspiring. They shoot thru the wind like its not there. At 1200 yards shooting at an 12" rock with the crosswind blowing so hard it was hard to stand up in. First shot elevation perfect, second shot 2.5' into the wind center hit. By comparison was a 3006 with 180 sierra game kings we couldn't put the shots even close enough to the rock to make you think a hit could be possible.

I built a 375 Rum with a 10 twist 26 inch barrel. I am running 350 SMK's a little over 2700fps. I have shot it out to 1020 yards and with this combo it is not limited to short range at all. My buddy that lives in Wyoming has taken his 375 rum out to a Mile with the same combo and he is running a 28 inch barrel and is pushing the 350 SMK's around 2800 fps. Accuracy in my rifle and his is about ½ MOA. My rifle weighs 6lbs 10 ounces bare gun his is about 8lbs bare gun.

My same buddy just built a lazzeroni 9.53 (375) with a 27 inch barrel. Over the Oehler 35p he is averaging 2916fps with the 350 SMK's and has fired the same cases 4 times with that load and they are still doing fine. He has shot this load combo all the way out to a mile with very impressive results and they appear to buck the wind better than the 300 Berger's out of his 8.59 (338) Lazzeroni Titan.

When you can split a basketball size rock in half at 1200 yards with one shot with that 9.53 that has shrugged off 300 rum's with 230's and 338's shooting 300's over the years that puts things in perspective. So if you feel you want more than the 375 rum and do not wish to step up to the Cheytac size cases I would look at the Lazzeroni or even the 378 Weatherby.

375 tejas, 330 ceb .850 bc long range performance is awe inspiring. They shoot thru the wind like its not there. At 1200 yards shooting at an 12" rock with the crosswind blowing so hard it was hard to stand up in. First shot elevation perfect, second shot 2.5' into the wind center hit. By comparison was a 3006 with 180 sierra game kings we couldn't put the shots even close enough to the rock to make you think a hit could be possible.

I must add those CE bullets are great, I'm sure with those the 375 is a great LR caliber. I was there and very impressed by the performance of those bullets. They also expand very nicely on game as well.
(On an slightly unrelated note I think had I wanted to use enough bullets I would have eventually hit that rock :p)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.