375 cutting edge bullets?

TheFishBox

So I was reading on another forum that some guys are having mixed results with these bullets as far as consistent flight is concerned. Like most are on the money but then you will have an extreme flyer or they will drop out of sight. Just curious as to what people on here experience with them are. Is the extreme flyer more a product of long range like 2000+ distances or is the same thing occurring at shorter distances? If you have any experience please share.

I gave the 320's a real shot in my 375 RUM. The results were very inconsistent. I finally decided to go to the 350 SMK and I have never looked back. Interesting enough, when I pulled some of the bullets, they were almost welded to the case neck. The seal-tite band is certainly that, sealed tight. I was not at all a fan of that. I wanted to try the 338 lazer offering in my Texan but am a little shy. The cost is also a deterrent.

I have not used these bullets in a long range scenario. However, I have taken them to Africa and used them in a 500 NE Double rifle and in a Dakota 416 Rigby. Their Safari grade bullets are second to none. Devastating results and the accuracy in my Rigby is incredible. In my double I used the 475 gn Safari Raptor and in my 416 I think it was a 325 gn Safari Raptor

I had erratic accuracy problems with the 320's from my 375 rum, the 330's shot very well but were too long for my throat, I shoot smk 350's annealed and drilled out to .046.

I had erratic accuracy problems with the 320's from my 375 rum, the 330's shot very well but were too long for my throat, I shoot smk 350's annealed and drilled out to .046.

What kind of terminal performance are you getting from the annealed and drilled SMK's?

I shot 377s and 350s in my 10 twist 30" 375 Allen Magnum.

Started with the 377s.

3 shot, 300 yard zero group was low 2s.

628 yard 3 shot group was in the 3s. Drop was spot on with published bc. I was a bit beyond pumped.

1034 yards bitterly 3 shots out of 5 attempts missed the 4'x4' target holder. The two shots that did hit were way too far apart.

Talked to the great fellas at CEB who sent me 350 tactical and hunter offerings.

Short version is they performed exactly like the 377s.

I'm thinking the 330s will stabilize in the 10 twist.

Under 600 yards I'd have no concerns about hitting and harvesting what I shot at.

However, with this rig, under 600 yards isn't an option sought after.

350 SMKs shoot lights out but have a noticeably lower bc.

The 350 repointed with brass tips increase to about 353 grains and a much higher bc. Making them one-off is a spot of bother but for all the more this rig will be used it's well worth the effort.

In tight twist and gain twist barrels the heavier CEBs are outstanding.

My 2 bits.... FWIW

my own experience at 1000 yards with 350gr Sierra Matchkings ,,,, 11 twist SS Schneider polygon barrel ,,,,,

Attachments

• 9.53Sat1000Y-TargetSmSz12-16-2013.jpg
    9.53Sat1000Y-TargetSmSz12-16-2013.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 101
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.