Cutting Edge bullets?

So other words i hit a home run with the 338 rum purchase. I ordered the large wyatt box so i will be in good shape with the 300 smk. I shoot the 300 out of my edge and have been very happy and love the idea i can shoot ot out of my rum since i have 500 of them. Let me know how today goes and thanks very much for the advise on the rum.
Mike

I heard back from Cutting Edge and this was the reply to my email:

Our MTH J01 160gr has proven to be extremely accurate in the 7mmSTW
cartridge but unfortunately it will not magazine feed either. The best you
could do with them is load one down in the magazine with the bullet over top
of the feed ramp and one in the chamber. With the accuracy of those bullets
most people are not concerned with magazine feeding especially if shooting
long range.
The MTH J05 145gr bullets will magazine feed and they have pressure/fouling
reducing grooves due to their length. I do not know anyone personally with a
7mmSTW shooting them but I see no reason why they would not shoot well.
We do not offer any test packs of bullets at this time.

Just got in from shooting and had some surprises with the 225 CE bullet in the 338 RUM. It shot great at 3300 fps which is about 80 fps faster than I was shooting the 225 AB. A 225 grain .64 bc at 3300 fps makes a nice rifle. You will want to shoot the 225's in the light remington. The 300's will rock you pretty good in the light rifle. They shoot great in it but kick. I will be posting data later under a 338 RUM loads thread.

I would like to try Cutting Edge bullets. Thinking the D65 252gn bullets might be the best for my 338LAI. Does anyone know how D65's compare to the 300gn smk's ballistically? I was told that I should get about 300fps faster out of the 252's. My rifle is shooting the 300 smk's at 2955fps. This would put me around 3,250fps with the CE's.

Also, I have used Barnes X bullets for years in other rifles. How do these CE bullets do for fouling? The old Barnes bullets would foul after about 20 shots. Not sure if CE is using a different type of copper for their bullets but it would be nice to know what grade of copper is used.

Hearing good things about these bullets but not sure if they will beat the 300 grainers.

How do these CE bullets do for fouling? The old Barnes bullets would foul after about 20 shots. Not sure if CE is using a different type of copper for their bullets but it would be nice to know what grade of copper is used.

Hearing good things about these bullets but not sure if they will beat the 300 grainers.

Ray, I have not tried any of the CE bullets. But have the Barnes in the past. One thing I have come to learn over the years using some wildcats and standard Wby chamberings is, Higher velocity and solid copper always have resulted in more copper fouling. Some worse than others but for sure it will be accelerated with this combination, as well as accelerated throat wear.

These are some of the reasons I am standing by watching these bullets instead on jumping in. That, and I want to shoot beside them with similar chamberings in the wind before I draw any conclusions. So get some and lets go shoot again. Maybe we can find some wind and test em out in your rifle.:)

Jeff

The price of them is enough to scare me of not using them. Copper fouling, hmm i thought last fall my scope went or the barrel went south. My 25-284 was my back up gun for Co., got out there and couldnt get it sighted in what an empty feeling. Got home went to range same thing, came home started the basics of scrubbing on barrel very nasty. Went back to the range 3 shots little over 1/2 moa. I was using the swift scorr.
Mike

The price of them is enough to scare me of not using them. Copper fouling, hmm i thought last fall my scope went or the barrel went south. My 25-284 was my back up gun for Co., got out there and couldnt get it sighted in what an empty feeling. Got home went to range same thing, came home started the basics of scrubbing on barrel very nasty. Went back to the range 3 shots little over 1/2 moa. I was using the swift scorr.
Mike
Ditto and it already cost to much to shoot the larger calibers like 338.s

McMillan 026.jpg

Here is a picture of some Cutting Edge bullets next to some others for comparison. Left to Right; 210 Berger 30 cal, 180 CE .6 bc 30 cal, 225 Accubond 338 Cal, 225 CE .64 bc, 300 SMK, 260 CE .76 bc.
As you can see the 225 CE is nearly as long as the 300 smk and the 180 CE is as long as the 210 berger. The BC's are good in the ones I have shot. They are worth every penny to a serious hunter.
Forgot to stick the 252 grain CE in there but it is on another cutting edge thread where RDM had a picture of it.

I'm sure they shoot great and there b.c's are right in the ball park, but, I'd still take the 225ab over them to a 1000 yds for "hunting". You double lung an elk with a .338 and a good bullet, they usually go *** over tea kettle, no tracking short or long. On another subject, I'd like to see you do a comparison of a c.e.b of your choice against the 300gr berger in the wind out to say, 1500yds. Drops are easy, it's the wind thats the killer for ELRS.

Jeff,

Copper fouling is truely a bit of concern. I spoke with Dan at CE and he assures me that their bullets do not foul any worse than jacketed bullets. I have 107 rounds down the tube without cleaning and it shot just fine on the 107th with smk's :D. Have doubts that any full copper bullets will do that.

I just did what you hate most! I sat here at my computer and ran some numbers through my new Droid Razr & Shooter program :cool:. I have a poor excuse though, it is dark outside. According to shooter this is what I got.

300 yard zero
Spin drift "on"
Corielis "on"
Latitude 39.85
Azmuth 0
Visability 0 (Its dark)
Bullet Length 1.811"
.720 G1
3,250 fps
Scope height 1.8
Baro 24.40
Temp 41 deg
Hum 29.0

D65 252gn CE
1000 yards 10mph wind at 3 O'clock
15.2moa Up 3.1moa Right

1500 yards " " "
31.1 Up 5moa Right

2000 yards " " "
53.3moa Up 7.3moa Right

300 Smk
2,955fps
1000 Yards 10mph wind at 3 O'clock
Atmosphereical conditions the same and it is still dark

1000 yards
18.3moa Up 3.1 Right

1500 yards
37.2moa Up 5.1moa Right

2000 yards
63.6moa Up 7.5moa Right

Now I know that this is all on paper and really means nothing. I also know that some reputable shooters on this site are giving them a thumbs up as well. The only thing I can do is buy some and give them a try. Nothing better to do this winter.

It will be interesting to see IF CE BC's are accurate and IF I can get the velocity shown in my example.

I would really like to do some shooting with you again! Since I am sitting at my computer dreaming up numbers....it would really be nice to get together in a neutral place in Wyoming and do some shooting. Since I'm still dreaming, we have a few others on this board that might like a get together like this. Something to think about. gun)

Would love to shoot with yoy guys bit im around 1700 miles away. Dont think the wife would let me drive out this weekend. LOL
MIke

Franklin,

Hope I did not mess up here but I have 300gn Bergers in my LB data. I put in the same atmosphere conditions as my previous post into LB.

Bergers have .6moa less windage than CE 252gn bullets. 5.8moa more drop on Bergers. So, according to my numbers the Bergers win by a little more than 1/2 moa in a 10mph wind at 1500 yards!

If I messed up my hypothetical numbers, I am sure that someone will correct me.

If I messed up my hypothetical numbers, I am sure that someone will correct me.

It all hindges on a bullet you have not shot yet and it being accurate at 3250 if you can get those velocities. Some rifles / bullets like to shoot at max, some don't. But hell, load em up!! My offer still stands. :)

Jeff

I don't know if I'm right or wrong, because I haven't shot the bergers or the c.e.b's. It's **** tough to beat a heavy, high b.c bullet in the wind, way the hell out there though. Yeah, we already know LTLR, you've got to take into consideration what your max distance is, you plan on shooting to pick the right bullet for the job.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.