375/408 Banded Solids Test

Kelly, the barrel I fired the RKY MTN bullets from was a constant 8 twist. It turned them to dust; however, I am sure they were the thinner jacketed version that 408 referred to. The new ones may work.

I do not like what I am seeing out of the gain twist barrel I have. It is a 13-6.5 and there is significant side swadging of the material on the bearing surfaces of the projectiles I recovered. I am going to order a 8-5.5 to test the 7 cal solid copper. As stated before I believe one should not get too radical in the deviation of the entrance to exit twist. Here again, we are treading in new waters and I may be totally wrong, more testing is in order.

Augustus,
Do you have any updated range info for the 375??? They are getting ready to cut my barrel to a 1--10 twist for the shorter bullets. I was going with a 1-10 because Dave V has had good luck with it. But someone suggested a 1--10, was that you??

My second barrel can only be cut down to a 1--8.5,,brux can't cut them any tighter, I guess I stuck with that as a minimum twist.

Again, any more range info would be great,

kelly

Noel may want to address the question of hollow pointing the solids. The tungsten core will probably be a better direction to take for making a frangible. The testing with the 8 twist using the 7 cal. 420 gr. solid copper is done. They are not compatible at vel. past 2600 fps. I will be testing the 6.5 cal 400 gr. solid copper out of the 13-6.5 barrel in the next few days. I have already fired a few out of this barrel and got promising results. The seven cals. shoot very nice out of the 6.5 twist to around 2700. Anyway all the questions about these projectiles and the twist rates required to use them should be answered soon. Also, to each his own, but I had a 338 snipe-tac and had it rechambered to a standard 338/408. I was not happy with the snipe-tac. It was a little picky about the loads it liked but shot very well once the magic one was found. It displayed extraction problems I could not resolve even with mild loads. I do not like to fireform brass. The standard 338/408 has displayed sub half min. groups on virgin necked down brass and extraction is smooth and consistant. I have not found a load it would not shoot well. Anyway that is what I experienced and Im sure there are others who would disagree.

When I had the Snipe-tac rechambered my barrel lost around an inch going from 30 to 29 in. My load for the snipe-tac pushed the 300 smk to 3250. After losing an in. of barrel and going to the standared case I am running the same bullet to 3200. The improved case may show more advantage when utilizing longer barrels. Anyway I am sticking with standard cases from now on.

Augustus, I was also reading one of your old posts here...You said when you went from the snipe tac to the standard cheytac, you only lost 50 fps...I have heard others say the very same thing. I have already bought my reamers for the snipe tac, but after reading your post again, I am seriously considering ordring standard reamers like you did.

Do you have any new input on this????

kelly

bullet_compare.JPG

From Left to Right...

1. Sierra 350gn SMK "Jacketed"
2. Rocky Mountain 361gn Alum tipped "Jacketed" VLD
3. Predator 347gn Brass solid
4. GS Custom 355gn Copper solid
5. ZA 6.5cal length Copper solid 400gn
6. ZA 7.0cal length Copper solid 420gn

375 Snipetac shell casing

from which internet shop site can I bye the ZA bullets and the Predator bullets

Last edited:
from which internet shop site can I bye the ZA bullets

Interesting picture.

Right now the answer is none.

There is a 338 bullet testing and demonstration scheduled for December 10 (with 11th as a partial day back up). The results of that demonstration are going to be published on the Sniper's Hide site. I'll start a thread on it when it happens. We are hoping that we get some predator bullets for teh test.

JeffVN

ok ok
then I'll keep an eye on that side.

saw the picture and thought it looked cool and difrent.

which company is it that Developed the Bullet

Interesting picture.

Right now the answer is none.

There is a 338 bullet testing and demonstration scheduled for December 10 (with 11th as a partial day back up). The results of that demonstration are going to be published on the Sniper's Hide site. I'll start a thread on it when it happens. We are hoping that we get some predator bullets for teh test.

JeffVN

Jeff I saw that thread over there. Do you know of any 3rd party info gathering on rocky mountain 325gr 338 bullets? Will you guys be shooting any of those? Looking forward to some info on Noel's bullets. This has been a long time coming.

Jeff I saw that thread over there. Do you know of any 3rd party info gathering on rocky mountain 325gr 338 bullets? Will you guys be shooting any of those? Looking forward to some info on Noel's bullets. This has been a long time coming.

I do not know if Rocky Mountain has sent any for testing. I hope they do.

JeffVN

Wow, I didnt think this thread would ever see the light of day again. Wonder what happened to Kellyzier and Extremist458. How about that 420 gr solid 375 pill that was supposed to be stable out of the 8 twist at 3400 fps.

Augustus, Still around, just been deployed since the end of Feb. The 414 SP is doing great. Will work in a twist as slow as 9.25. You don't see the bullets in the picture because we haven't been giving them away when people ask, but anyone can buy them. They are online, or you can e-mail Gina and she can put the order in for you. Thanks.

Things have been quite regarding the 375/408 around my house. I have settled on a load and projectile so I just take her out once in a while to bust a couple of rocks on yonder mountian. The load is 140 gr. BMG and 425 CEs.

There is some new activity on the Hide concerning a solid copper projo fired from a tight gain twist barrel. I'm pretty sure the barrel has been in a corner at my house and the projos looks like an accumulation of traits found on the various prototypes I have discussed at length in the past.

There are some strange looking little bands forward of the of the front drive band that is new to me. Other than that a lot of it looks very familiar.

"I'm pretty sure the barrel has been in a corner at my house and the projos looks like an accumulation of traits found on the various prototypes I have discussed at length in the past."...

You might be permitting your memory to get the best of you Augustus. It would be easier to make a comparison if you still had a sample of the projectile that you were beta-testing three+ years ago. The design differences in the current 375 translate into an ~11% increase in ballistic coefficient (over the last one that you held in your hand). Subtle form changes can make dramatic performance differences, and that is before the additional 15% BC increase which the ZA rifling geometry imparts is factored in.

This is going to be a year of some very interesting technical announcements.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts