358 Norma Mag

Following. I've always wanted to build a bigger brother (358) to my 308 Norma. Don't need it, but that's got nothing to do with it. I would think some hammers in the 358 NM would be a hell of a combo!
Following. I've always wanted to build a bigger brother (358) to my 308 Norma. Don't need it, but that's got nothing to do with it. I would think some hammers in the 358 NM would be a hell of a combo!
So I picked up a nice 358 Norma Mag last year and thought I would see what others thought of it being used as an all around elk rifle? It seems to like the 225 AB and the 250 Partition quite well. I think my ole Sako Finnbear 338 WM and my 35 Whelen might be left home this coming season...
Who's using, or has in the past a 358 NM for elk hunting? Which bullets do you prefer and at what distances?

** PS I know it's not needed to harvest elk 😄
So I picked up a nice 358 Norma Mag last year and thought I would see what others thought of it being used as an all around elk rifle? It seems to like the 225 AB and the 250 Partition quite well. I think my ole Sako Finnbear 338 WM and my 35 Whelen might be left home this coming season...
Who's using, or has in the past a 358 NM for elk hunting? Which bullets do you prefer and at what distances?

** PS I know it's not needed to harvest elk 😄
Surprised to see a thread on 358 Norma mag as I am currently finishing up a build I started over 20 years ago. Building a new house, kids, and work got in the way. Then moving again 3 years ago. Anyway finally decided to finish it this year. Had a old model 70 action that I had ER Shaw install a new barrel with a 14 twist. Had a myrtlewood blank purchased over 20 years ago that was rough inletted that I finished in letting. Pillar bedded it, then bedded action, and installed cross bolt. Starting to finish stock now. Can't wait to shoot this thing. Original plan for build was for either grizz or brown bear medicine. Am sure would be excellent for elk.

Surprised to see a thread on 358 Norma mag as I am currently finishing up a build I started over 20 years ago. Building a new house, kids, and work got in the way. Then moving again 3 years ago. Anyway finally decided to finish it this year. Had a old model 70 action that I had ER Shaw install a new barrel with a 14 twist. Had a myrtlewood blank purchased over 20 years ago that was rough inletted that I finished in letting. Pillar bedded it, then bedded action, and installed cross bolt. Starting to finish stock now. Can't wait to shoot this thing. Original plan for build was for either grizz or brown bear medicine. Am sure would be excellent for elk.
Sounds like a sweet rifle you are building. Hard to beat a M70 crf action especially if you are going for the big bears IMO.. I'm really starting to like mine it has a Shillen 26" barrel on it but thinking about having it cut down I'll probably go with 23" depending on how the balance feels as the rifle is too long for tromping threw the coastal rain forests we have around here. The problem is it's a great shooter as it sits currently and I don't want to loose accuracy..

The 35 UMT is mighty tempting as I happen to have a spare M70 Rum action 😁

As a lover of cast bullet shooting or light loads with handgun bullets (for the non-caster) for plinking and small game…..I've always thought that a high performance .35 could be great in both worlds. It could provide relatively inexpensive low recoil practice/plinking/hunting…..while having "reach out and touch" capabilities! memtb