.350 Rem Mag

sakoluvr

Last year I killed a nice bull with my .30-06 using the 168 gr TTSX. I want to change things up this year and I am thinking about using my Rem KS custom shop model 7 .350 magnum.

It shoots the 200 gr TSX very well, at 2845 fps. Does anyone have Elk experience with the .350 mag? Looking for some data points concerning range, penetration etc. I will probably limit my shots to 300-350 yards max, but wondering what you have experienced.

Last year I killed a nice bull with my .30-06 using the 168 gr TTSX. I want to change things up this year and I am thinking about using my Rem KS custom shop model 7 .350 magnum.

It shoots the 200 gr TSX very well, at 2845 fps. Does anyone have Elk experience with the .350 mag? Looking for some data points concerning range, penetration etc. I will probably limit my shots to 300-350 yards max, but wondering what you have experienced.
My first Elk in 1987 was taken with a M700 in 350RM. 225gr Sierra BTSP at ~2700fps. 200 yards. Tough old bugger. Absorbed 3 bullets in the thoracic cavity (none passed thru) before turning 180 degrees, taking a couple of steps & DRT.
I expected more, as that load drops MO Whitetail like the Hammer of Thor.
Many Elk since then, bow, MZ, & rifle. All different scenarios.
IMO, for under 300 yards, good choice. I might try latest bullets - lighter monos at higher velocity - just because I might get a longer shot.

I have a Remington model 600 in 350 mag. I've taken whitetails with it and it has worked great! But, it's more of a collector & a fair weather rifle than a go to rifle for me.

I've handloaded 350 mag ammo for a friend that I'm going moose hunting with in Newfoundland in less than a month. The load uses a Barnes 180 TTSX flat base bullet at 2810 fps according to my Lab Radar unit. His rifle is also a Model 7 Custom Kevlar with a 22" barrel. I'm excited to see it perform!

I have a Remington model 600 in 350 mag. I've taken whitetails with it and it has worked great! But, it's more of a collector & a fair weather rifle than a go to rifle for me.

I've handloaded 350 mag ammo for a friend that I'm going moose hunting with in Newfoundland in less than a month. The load uses a Barnes 180 TTSX flat base bullet at 2810 fps according to my Lab Radar unit. His rifle is also a Model 7 Custom Kevlar with a 22" barrel. I'm excited to see it perform!
I also had a Remington Model 600 in 350RM. It was an absolute BEAST to shoot and delivered more punishment to the shooter than the game. LOL

That was the only rifle I had stolen that I didn't miss back in 1986.

About 15 years ago I replaced it with a Model Seven KS in 350RM with the Brown Precision stock and a custom barrel with brake. It's also a beast to shoot but bearable if you wear double hearing protection.

Anyway my Model 600 was used to dispatch a few elk that were wounded by hunters when I worked for an outfitter in Colorado and a few of my own when I had the time to hunt and it was quite adequate for elk. I liked it because it was short handy and very powerful but sighting it in was always very unpleasant.

I know I used factory ammo for that 600 but for the life of me I can't remember what it was but I suspect it was Nosler Partitions as they've always been my favorite bullets for close encounters (under 200yds).

Anyway. I highly recommend the Model Seven KS in 350RM for medium to large and dangerous game if you want a light, short, and handy rifle that has the punch to kill the big nasties in short order it's your huckleberry.

You'll probably want to handload for it though because finding factory ammo in a pinch might be nearly impossible and you'd surely pay through the nose for it these days.

*** EDIT *** I just did a search for 350RM ammo and Ammo Seek showed NONE anywhere and if you're willing to pay about $5 per round you can get some old Remington factory ammo on Gunbroker. Brass is just as expensive. I guess I could get rich selling some of my brass. LOL

Last edited:

Great cartridge , I've taken Elk, Deer and Bear with it and it's done very well on all.

Really Enjoy Your
Articles Specs & Tech Analysis
Never Went Elk Hunting
I Know A Few Hunters That Swear By
Rem 7Mag 160 Grain Bullets
out To 200yds
They Claim Placement Is The Ticket
The 350mag Punishes
338-378 Weatherby
26" Fluted With Brake Not Punishing At All
Thank You
Confused

I also had a Remington Model 600 in 350RM. It was an absolute BEAST to shoot and delivered more punishment to the shooter than the game. LOL

That was the only rifle I had stolen that I didn't miss back in 1986.

About 15 years ago I replaced it with a Model Seven KS in 350RM with the Brown Precision stock and a custom barrel with brake. It's also a beast to shoot but bearable if you wear double hearing protection.

Anyway my Model 600 was used to dispatch a few elk that were wounded by hunters when I worked for an outfitter in Colorado and a few of my own when I had the time to hunt and it was quite adequate for elk. I liked it because it was short handy and very powerful but sighting it in was always very unpleasant.

I know I used factory ammo for that 600 but for the life of me I can't remember what it was but I suspect it was Nosler Partitions as they've always been my favorite bullets for close encounters (under 200yds).

Anyway. I highly recommend the Model Seven KS in 350RM for medium to large and dangerous game if you want a light, short, and handy rifle that has the punch to kill the big nasties in short order it's your huckleberry.

You'll probably want to handload for it though because finding factory ammo in a pinch might be nearly impossible and you'd surely pay through the nose for it these days.

*** EDIT *** I just did a search for 350RM ammo and Ammo Seek showed NONE anywhere and if you're willing to pay about $5 per round you can get some old Remington factory ammo on Gunbroker. Brass is just as expensive. I guess I could get rich selling some of my brass. LOL
My buddy complains about the recoil & wont shoot more than 2 from the bench! I told him to wear his man panties the next time! 😂

I find no such issue with it and enjoy shooting it. So when he tired of it, I take over & shoot it. I have fired 11 rounds from a bench with my Remington 700 in 375 H&H with 270 grain loads. It weighs about 7.5 pounds….

I used an early Ruger 77RS with a Redfield 1-4x post reticle for elk hunting for years. Used Speer 250 gr RN for bullets and if memory is correct, 4064 powder. Do not remember the powder charge, but would group about 5/8" for 3 shots at 100 yds. Always DRT!! Always hunted in timber and around edges of meadows.

I think as .35s go the .350 Rem Mag is pretty hard too beat, out of a 22" to 24" inch barrel it's a meat Axe. Just my 0.2 Cheers

I've killed 8 bull and 3 cow elk with 600's and 660's. Farthest was 415 but most between 75 and 300 yards. All but 2 where 1 shot and done. one was dead walking and sent a second one for insurance. The other was hit just above the breast bone 280 yards stumbled a little saw the blood and hit him perfect the second shot. Most shot with factory 180 core lokts, but shot a couple with 180 speer spitzers. My son killed his Colorado moose with a 600, factory 200 core lokt 310yards, one shot point of the shoulder 3 steps and done.

Same bullets and very similar ballistics to 35 whelen but in a short action. Should be great for anything in North America out to 400 yards with modern .358 monos or accubonds (if you can find them).

I thought about using my Model 600 in 350 mag for the hunt but have veered to a 35 Whelen Model 700 that I've put together. Also shooting 180 Barnes TTSX at 2870 fps. They're factory loads as they shoot better than any handloads I tried…. 🙃