338RUM Retumbo compressed loads??

There is only one concern with heavily compressed loads, and that is whether the compression is enough to force bullets OUT of the case mouth over time.
I run an Edge, all of my loads are slightly compressed, I have no problem with bullets backing out, but, I load very long, no bullet heal is below the neck/shoulder juncture. Retumbo is bulky, it is compressed in my loads, but, not excessively. Seat a few with the max load for Retumbo, measure them, let them sit a day or 2, then re-measure, if they're the same length, no problem, if they grow, don't load that high.
Now, I also run a 300WinMag, with long Accubonds or Bergers, using Retumbo, the bullet backs out if I load to seating depth the day before a match, so, I load long, then seat them at the match. Problem solved.
Compressed loads are NOT dangerous, but, procedures need to be followed and checks done to ensure proper FUNCTION, nothing worse than getting to a match and none of your shells will chamber!!

Cheers.
gun)

Thanks DC & MM, this rig will be used for hunting & highly compressed loads worry me. The Browning magazine has steps in the box that hold the shoulder of the case so the tip of the bullets do not contact the font of the box with recoil. I am concerned that the recoil might take the case rearward & the bullet will migrate. I will definitely have to test before I feel comfortable.
Shaun

Thanks DC & MM, this rig will be used for hunting & highly compressed loads worry me. The Browning magazine has steps in the box that hold the shoulder of the case so the tip of the bullets do not contact the font of the box with recoil. I am concerned that the recoil might take the case rearward & the bullet will migrate. I will definitely have to test before I feel comfortable.
Shaun

I've never had bullets move during recoil, even those that have contacted the front of the magazine.
I run 225gr Accubonds in my 338WM, every shell shows signs of tip impact from the magazine, but, the bullets don't migrate at all. As long as the neck tension is tight enough, tge bullets will be tight and resist any movement. Even my 505 Gibbs resists bullet movement with the correct neck tension.

Cheers.
gun)

I shot my 101 gr RL33 loads today, 3.670 OAL, 300 gr accubond, cci 250 primers, remmy brass. 2753 on the magneto speed. I only loaded 5, so I didn't test ES or SD. The magneto speed made my bullet hit about 7 inches high. The next two shots cut the same hole with the exact same point of impact as my 300 gr berger load (90 gr H-1000, same OAL) Now I need to load more and test. These are pretty heavily compressed, but over two weeks time they didn't grow in length. Zero pressure signs! This is the grizzly KO punch I was looking for! I shot one of these rounds into the end grain of a 30 inch pine log that is about 18 inches long. I recovered the accubond mostly in tact and it penetrated about 16 inches. I also shot the 300 gr bergers into the same log and they didn't fare as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.